interplanting with spring bulbs

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Rosslyn, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Rosslyn

Rosslyn Member

In order to make full use of my garden where spring bulbs are planted, what kind of plants can be interplanted with the bulbs for continuation of colour. Obviously, these plants would be able to grow well among the leaves of the spring bulbs as the latter still remain until early summer. I live in zone 6.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

What kinds of spring bulbs, specifically?

3. Rosslyn

Rosslyn Member

Daffodils, early tilips and hyacinths. I heard that hyacinths do not do well in successive years and need replacements.

4. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

I think it depends on where you are.

My hyacinths are the most consistently perennial bulbs in my garden following crocus and chinoxodia (sp?)

Most of my hyacinths are more than a decade in the ground.

WCG

5. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

I have planted bulbs around hostas, but you could plant hostas among your bulbs! The colour is of course foliage colour, but they are nice companions.

6. lauraf

lauraf Member

Hi Rosslyn,

I think you can plant any perennial, especially if it has somewhat of a later start in the spring. As the perennial grows, it will hide the dying leaves of the bulbs. Hostas are particularly good, although they like to be in the shade (I am not sure the area where your bulbs are is).

7. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Coral Bells are great companions as well as hardy geraniums. Daylilies, Snow in Summer, #3 clematis, Corydalis, (for part shade), yarrow, lamium, groundcovers, Such as; thyme, veronica, vinca vine, johnny jump up, columbine, mint or catmint, chives, annual flowers, toss seeds or let them self seed. Forget me nots, poppies, ferns, lupine, pansies, larkspur, brunnera, etc.