General Info (HELP ME!!!!)

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by morgy8407, Oct 10, 2007.

1. morgy8407

morgy8407 Member

Just wondering if someone can help.... I've been reading up as much as I can on different advices in regard to Phalaenopsis Orchids.... I received one as a gift, and they are my favourite flower, yet I seem to be having problems as a grower... I had an orchid before, was in an apartment that was often warm and humid, and it flourished. Now, with my new orchid, I am in an apartment that is often damp and cool. My orchid came to me with about 10 blooms, each lasting approx. 3 weeks before falling off (not all at the same time, but one by one, spread apart by a couple days), which I think is normal, as I do not know how long they were blooming for before I got it. 3 of the 5 leaves yellowed and dropped as well. Now, I had 3 new buds starting off of the 3 separate "branches" on my orchid. They haven't gotten bigger since they first grew, and one turned yellow and shriveled up. I trimmed the one that went yellow off an inch from the yellowing, leaving much of the "branch", and I decided to take off all the matter my orchid is situated in and examine the roots, many of which are rotted and soft. I have trimmed these, and it has left one very long root, a medium sized root and a few small roots..... I have repacked the roots with the matter ( i believe to be sphagnum moss) added some orchid fertilizer at 1/2 strength, and soaked well under water, allowing it to drain before putting it back into the clay pot. Is it how chilly and damp it is in my apartment that is causing the roots to rot, the buds to yellow and die, and the leaves to fall? Help!!! (I have added a couple pictures of my orchid, along with the one "branch" that yellowed and I trimmed, and a picture of all of the rotted roots).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I'd say thats a pretty good chance, but first. What sort of growing medium do you have it in, soil, orchid mix etc. I'm assuming it is in a pot. Do you have a photo?

Ed

3. morgy8407

morgy8407 Member

I just added some photos

4. edleigh7

morgy...does that orchid sit in that pot with water in the saucer?. If it does that is definitely your problem my friend. What sort of mixture is in its pot??

5. morgy8407

morgy8407 Member

No, the saucer beneath the pot never contains water. When i water the orchid, any excess i drain from the saucer then replace the pot into it. there is nothing in the pot except the moss stuff.

6. edleigh7

I'd replace the sphagnum moss with orchid mix (bark etc), I think it is keeping the roots too wet. There are quite a few orchid experts on this forum, so you might have to wait for them to reply...
    Good luck

Ed

7. morgy8407

morgy8407 Member

Much appreciation to your advice.... you seem quite the expert too, and I will heed your advice. I'd like the poor thing to live! I say this as I put on a jacket to sit in my apartment.... my landlord controls the heat :o(

8. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

The cool temperatures aren't good for a Phal with a compromised root system. Warmer temps, bright indirect light and repotting will be needed. If you want to put the effort into to saving it you can try the spag and bag (fresh damp spagnum moss loosely around roots, clear bag loosely over plant) but without constantly warm temps (20-25 degrees Celsius) the roots will continue to rot. A healthy Phal grown in cooler temps needs good humidity while being watered less.

Shaun

9. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

You can buy a very inexpensive spot heater that runs off of electricity. Also do you have a contract with your landlord? If so check it on the conditions regarding the level of heat in your apartment. Phallys prefer it hot and humid and potting media that is very open such as medium to coarse bark plus excellent air circulation.
    Otherwise try orchids that will grow in such cool conditions. Laelia anceps might make it there with adequate light.