Elizabeth Magnolia Dying

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by puma73, Aug 18, 2007.

1. puma73

puma73 Member

I posted here earlier about a young Elizabeth Magnolia that is dying in my front yard (facing South) in vancouver. This is the second Elizabeth to die on me this year...from the same nursery. Thank you to the previous post that recommended it could be Lilac Blight or Honeydew. Since then, all of the leaves have turned brown and died along with most of the buds. I fear it will be dead within weeks (it maybe already too late). One thing I noticed is that some of the leaves had thousands of tiny eggs on the back of them (eggs are completey round) and in completely symmetrical patterns. Does anyone know what insect may be laying these eggs and would it be responsible for killing all the leaves or is it an insect that came to the tree after it was infected with something else?? The leaves first turn brown aroundn the edges and then eventually dry up and fall off. Some of them had black spots on them similar to rose leaves but not all. Any help would be appreciated. Are Elizabth Magnolia's typically a weak tree?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Did it resemble this? Lilac Bacterial Blight (suggested as a possibility by Ron B in the other thread)

As for the insects, a photo would help.

3. markbugden1965

markbugden1965 Member

I have the same tree in front yard in full sun and it has same thing going on browning leaves falling off .Im not even sure if they are supposed to hold their leavesI just thouhgt it was typical fall happenings.I.d like to know so someone hopefully will respond . danial mosquin,s link would not open for me so i could not see that link.Other than leaves I know the tree likes medium acidity.So lime it a touch .

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Welcome. Wouldn't think it would need any lime . Cool, moist roots with the trunk shaded from winter sun near the base is good and a mulch over the root area helps. It is deciduous so drops the leaves and next year's growth buds should be obvious. Does seem a little early for leaf drop though, maybe it got stressed a little. Would keep any lawn chemical treatments away from the root area, it's shallow rooted.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  5. markbugden1965

markbugden1965 Member

Re: Elizabeth Magnolia

Thanks for the tip Chimera apprieciate yours and all others input alot.
    Just planted a Eastern Forest Pansy Redbud. What a Beauty it will be!
    Place it in Full sun put transplant fertilizer solution in root ball. Sure hope it takes well
    I'm in dire need of pruning school.As my yard is completed as i like it.But some tree require pruneing but i'm scared too.Not enough knowhow (Blush)lol

6. markbugden1965

markbugden1965 Member

I took my leaves of my Magnolia into the nursery. One problem i had was weevils eating the leaf edges.Which can be fixed in early spring with a liquid spray I bought
    @ the nursery. The Browning Black leaves they said were early but normal for our variety of tree. Not to worry I'm told.

7. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Was likely a good idea to get it checked. A spray for root weevils ? Weevils can girdle the bark on rhododendrons at ground level , haven't heard of it happening to magnolias though.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  8. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I didn't know weevils could girdle... but know their leaf damage well. Handpicking at night in spring, or whenever you notice the damage, is my favoured method of control. (When digging up the grubs is inconvenient).

Good luck with the Forest Pansy; my neighbour has one and it's lovely. For pruning, there are lots of books available, and sometimes you hear of workshops too.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In this region this cultivar in particular seems to be apt to have problems with lilac blight or a similar condition, even having the tepals go brown while flowering is underway. You may have to use a sulphur dormant spray or other routine control measures to have your tree amount to an attractive specimen. If the province offers something similar to the state extension servive down here, make use of that. You need to find out what, specifically is going on and take appropriate measures.