Ground Cover

Discussion in 'Groundcovers' started by Tellico T, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Tellico T

Tellico T Member

Hi. I am looking for a easy and inexpensive solution for ground cover that we can walk on. Our backyard is completly bare. It is reddish brown dirt. We are renting so I know the landlords aren't going to spring for a big buck solution. We are on a lake with the Smokies right there, it's beautuful and very wooded. Sunlight comes thru, but not directly. Our main hangout area is all dirt. When it's dry it's all dusty, when it rains, mud! I have thought about just throwing straw or hay down. We want to buy the place and they have no interest in selling now, so we are stuck trying to do something cheap and walkable. Any thoughts? Thanks, Tellico T

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Grass is the cheapest and the most walkable ground cover available. There are shade tolerant grasses that will cope with a lightly wooded but not heavily wooded area. Starting from seed is cheaper but slower than the sod approach. Other than that, there are not many live ground cover options that will cope with shade and anything other than very occansional foot traffic.

Other options suitable for a woodland, wood chips or bark mulch, laid 2-4" deep.

3. rziesk

rziesk Member

There are lots of options, depending on where you live and climate. One really nice one is creeping thyme, Thymus serpyllum. It will spread nicely, has nice aromatic foliage that smells wonderful as you walk on it. Blooms with small purple flowers and is forgiving with not optimal soil. It stays green all season and is a very lovely ground cover.

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

And not very good for a shady, high traffic backyard in Knoxville Tennessee

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Throwing down straw or hay might just be a good ticket, except I think you can have rodent problems. I agree basically that grass might be your best bet - bag of seed, $12 or so. On the other hand, you could have some fun with ground covers. Go to your local nursery and buy maybe 10 pots of different groundcovers, plant them a few feet apart, and see what happens. An investment of some $25 (probably about $2.50 each) could net you an education in ground cover alternatives for your area that will pay off when you have a garden you really care about and want to get the right plant for.

6. Luv2Grdn

Luv2Grdn Active Member

Maybe some patio blocks for your heavy traffic areas and then plant some Irish moss in between. Mulch the surrounding areas and add some shade loving perennials to keep the mulch in place.