Acer x zoeschense

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by erniew, Oct 2, 2007.

1. erniew

erniew Member

Summer foliage and habit at Cornell Plantations.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

A hybrid between Field Maple (A. campestre), and either Cappadocian Maple (A. cappadocicum) or Lobel's Maple (A. lobelii). Which of the latter two isn't definitely known; different sources claim either. Mitchell (Trees of Britain and Northern Europe) points out that it shares the root sprout production of Cappadocian Maple, so that is the more likely of the two.

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hi you have pics of leaves in autum? where is the coulor?

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It turns yellow in Britain.

5. erniew

erniew Member

Hi Alex,

I don't have any pictures of the fall color. It's in New York and I live in IL so I can't readily get back to it either. Perhaps someone at Cornell could pass along that information. The dark red petiole would seem to indicate a possibility of good fall color but isn't an absolute.

Regards,
    Ernie

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I saw some (and bought one) yesterday: the leaves are a pale yellow. The leaves of those I saw are even more like A. cappadocicum than the photos erniew posted, but smaller. It's Acer x zoeschense 'Annae'

No photos: the one I bought had just lost its leaves, I'll post some in the spring.

7. AlainK

If some of my A. palmatum seem to turn to autumn colours far too soon, this one has very healthy leaves.

I bought it as a "pre-bonsai" and I thought it would grow faster.

I will try to air-layer the top (the seller told me that it's very easy to multiply by cuttings, so air-layering should be OK) and now that I know it quite resilient, I'll probably put it in my garden next spring to boost it and use it as a "mother-tree" for cuttings and air-layering.

1: Sept. 2014
    2: May 2015
    3 & 4: 27 June 2015

Attached Files:

8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Alain,

Mine actually is a cutting. All of the cappidocicum relatives seem to do well as cuttings, which is logical I suppose since cappidocicum itself is a suckering tree. I've done a few of the species as cuttings with a high success rate. This winter I mean to try ssp sinicum.

Really a beautiful tree in spring, and new growth in summer, but fall colours are unremarkable. I actually think the summer green, which is quite olive, makes a very good contrast in the palette of available greens.

Mine is also quite slow growing, but this is only its 3rd spring in the ground, and it does seem to be picking up some pace as it gets more established. I have found from the other cappidocicums that they do not like pots much, this one may be the same. I watered it last week; really dry (and hot) here! (Just got back from Paris where it was truly 'insupportable'...)

cheers,

-E

9. AlainK

Thanks for your comments Emery, it confirms what I had felt.

BTW, "Terval" closes on July 13, in case you wanted to go there this summer.

10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for the info Alain. Damned holidays! :) This means I won't get there until September.

Hope you are still coping. ;) I assume you have orals left to plow through, I believe English Wednesday for my daughter. 39C forecast for Paris, I've retreated to the farm where it is still hot and _really_ dry. I had a problem with the automatic watering while I was gone 4 days last week and a few 4 yr seedlings didn't get watered, they have completely dried out and will lose all their leaves. Hopefully they'll come back as these are nice plants...

-E

11. AlainK

Too bad ^^ If they're potted, what bonsai enthusiasts suggest is putting the pot in a water tray, and let the soil absorb the water, then remove it from the tray. Don't water the upper part of the tree, but put them in a cold frame, or wrap them in a big enough plastic bag, and place them in the shade, and water them again only when the soil is almost dry. Don't give them any fertilizer or other chemicals as the weakened roots can be damaged! If the leaves fall by themselves, or when you brush through them, it's usually a good sign, the new buds are pushing the old leaves out.

I already did that on some of my mine with success. I hope yours wil make it out: we're heading for dry semi-tropical weather now, and a high rate of atmospere humidity usually helps, the worst thing is to have the roots soaked.

For instance, this is a seedling of Acer mospessulanum I had kept too long in the same pot, and all the leaves were brown. Not the best candidate for the technique of defoliation which I usually do on Acer palmatum, and I thought it was a goner, but I put it in a new pot with more space for the roots, and bingo! So I think that with proper care, yours will survive. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020