Picea pungens 'Blue Kiss'

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) Photo Gallery' started by conifers, Sep 21, 2007.

1. conifers

conifers Active Member

‘Green Industry Images’ Copyrighted Photograph; Permission Granted.

Attached Files:

2. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Anyone know where I can obtain one of these ?

3. conifers

conifers Active Member

I don't, but if anyone would have it or the liklihood of you emailing him requesting that he graft if for you, that person would be Bob Fincham. Send him an email which you'll find at his Coenosium Gardens ... webpage.

Dax

4. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Thank you - read a thread about the misnomer 'Blaukissen' which he has listed on his catalogue but his description doesn't mention new growth colour. I have sent him an email and we'll see what transpires.

5. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Got this really quick reply from Bob Fincham:

The plant pictured isn't 'Blaukissen', it is too conical and the spring color is wrong. Do you know where the picture was taken?

There are a number of selection of Picea pungens with yellow and with white spring growth, all of which eventually get fairly large. I'm not sure which one is pictured but it is nice and compact, possibly something new.

'Blaukissen' is a low mound that grows about 1" per year with blue foliage year round.
    Unquote

Any idea where the picture was taken ?

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

"Kissen" means pillow in German, so Blaukissen doesn't translate to Blue Kiss.

7. erniew

erniew Member

This picture was taken at the Dawes Arboretum in Newark, OH. Their online records list it as coming from Brotzman's Nursery in Lake County OH. He claims that he's not named the plant. Dannaher's near Newark had a few that they sold out of this spring. There's a complete thread on this over at Gardenweb if anyone is interested in digging it up.

Regards,
    Ernie

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If of German origin 'Blaukissen' would probably be the correct name (of the cultivar so named, whatever the identity of the plant shown). Translations into English are not kosher, the cultivar name remains that first given by the originator (unless it is unacceptable for some other reason) in the country and language of origin - although those in other alphabets will certainly have to be transliterated to be used in English-speaking countries. 'Blaukissen' instead of 'Blue Cushion', 'Sekkan' instead of 'Snow-crown[ed]' or 'Snow-mantl[ed]'.

9. Tim Brotzman

Tim Brotzman Member

I would like to add to this discussion about Blue Kiss, which the plant in the photo definitely is not.

We selected Blue Kiss here at Brotzman's Nursery, many years ago. The broadly conical shape reminded my father of a Hershey's Kiss chocolate and that is why he gave it that name. He also had selected two (actually 3, but we sold one) seedlings whose new growth was pure yellow. One he named Golden Feathers and the other remains without a name. Golden Feathers has a blue-green mature color, where-as the un-named plant is a good blue. All of the originals still grow at our nursery.

Some time ago Mr Dave Dannaher received scions from these plants, and apparently the Dawes Arboretum did as well. Dave has actually been selling the un-named plant and has encouraged me to name it since it has been well received. I have not yet done so.

The plant in the picture looks like the un-named blue.

10. conifers

conifers Active Member

Thank you. So who's gonna name it? Is there any chance you might have the person you sold it to, name it, please? Just asking of course. Thank you Tim.

Dax

11. Tim Brotzman

Tim Brotzman Member

I have discussed this with Dave Dannaher, the propagator who actually got this out into the market. We have watched our plant, and several grown from it, for quite a while and never really put our mind to coming up with a good name.

I guess it will be my job to do so unless Dave or someone else sugggests a better one first. Once I have it, I will post it on the forum and ask Dave to advise his customers if at all possible.

Tim Brotzman

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

So to summarize it seems there is both a 'Blaukissen' and a 'Blue Kiss', two separate introductions.

13. Tim Brotzman

Tim Brotzman Member

It would appear to be so. I do not know the origin of Blaukissen, but am sure of our plant, since we grew it from a seedling.

Tim Brotzman

14. conifers

conifers Active Member

Here are some suggestions:

Tasty
    Spring Bananas
    Mustard Glow
    Sippin' Beer
    Golden Lab
    Sparky
    Cold Beer
    Lemonade