Taxodium distichum 'Shawnee Brave'

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) Photo Gallery' started by conifers, Sep 16, 2007.

1. conifers

conifers Active Member

‘Green Industry Images’ Copyrighted Photograph; Permission Granted;
    (Taxodium distichum 'Shawnee Brave' is a trade-marked plant) My favorite of all Taxodium distichum selections. Photos show fall color and winter habit;

Attached Files:

2. Lou midlothian Tx

Lou midlothian Tx Member

Conifers-

Do you happen to know its tolerance for pH soil? I thought I saw somewhere that it has the ability to tolerate higher pH than typical T. distichum. Probably not like T. Mucronatum or even TD-TM hybrid 'Nanjing Beauty' which supposedly can tolerate as high as 8.5.

Lou

3. conifers

conifers Active Member

Lou, it's grafted to Taxodium distichum so you'd need to find a rootstock origin that is better-suited to high alkalinity. I really know nothing of this subject other than common sense (to me) regarding a root system that would be better than another. So origin would be key.

Dax

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Since Shawnee Brave is a trademark, apparently now registered there would have to be another name for the cultivar. This appears to be 'Michelson' (at least one other spelling appears in search hits), making the botanical name Taxodium distichum 'Michelson'. One way the full combination might be presented is T. distichum Shawnee Brave(R) = 'Michelson'.