Potted Cedars - Help!

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by kcar, Oct 1, 2007.

1. kcar

kcar Member

This past summer, I potted a few cedar trees in pots on my patio. Come fall, they're not looking so hot. They are about 3 feet high and are planted in plastic 8-10 gallon pots with drainage. When potted I used peat in the bottom, along with some bone meal, and regular potting soil around. Also, I was told to leave the burlap on when I potted them (though I seriously doubted this step).

The trees looked great all summer, but now the inner foliage is starting to brown and droop. I suspect part of the problem might be that the pots are too small? For the most part they are watered regularly, and have no sign of any insects. They are subject to a Vancouver climate, and though on a covered patio, still experience the wind and rain.

As you can probably tell I'm new to this, but would love to save my cedars. Please help with any advice, suggestions, or even resources to check out. Thanks so much!

2. MdeHaan

MdeHaan Member

You left the burlap on - did you also leave the string that tied up the top of the burlap to the plant? If so, it may be "strangling" the cedar.
    Try scratching away the soil at the base of the trunk to investigate. If the string is still there, just cut it.

3. kcar

kcar Member

I did cut the string, and pull back the burlap.
    Wondering if they should be repotted without the burlap?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Impossible to say what, exactly, is happening without seeing them. This IS the time of year when arborvitaes (Thuja) discard old foliage.

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years