spider plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by babygurl6162008, Sep 19, 2007.

1. babygurl6162008

babygurl6162008 Member

i have to spider plants in pots that are 14In in width and 10 1/2 in depth i was just wondering if the spider plant will out grown every pot i plant it in or if it will eventully stay in one big pot for good if so what size pot would that be

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

From what I understand, spider plants won't grow much higher than maybe your knee, but as long as there is bare soil for the runners to root as you keep going up in pot size (they grow like strawberries) your spider could get very large "horizontally" that is.

3. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

My family had about 5 hanging baskets (a little larger or roughly the same size as the pot that you're using I think) filled with spider plants for nearly ten years. After ten years or so there wasn't much soil left and the plants were pushing up out of the pots because the roots were so huge. Because they had been there so long they really could only be restarted (my parents threw them all out sadly). When they get that old the plants on the surface of the soil have created almost one long roselette (spelling?) that can hang down well past the surface (It really starts to look messy and unattractive if the lower leaves have fallen off and such, in my opinion). So really by the time that your plant outgrows your pot it'll be old enough that you should probably start fresh again due to the growth pattern of the plant.

On a side note the five plants hanging on the balcony made a living wall of babies that extended down about 8 to 10 feet. It was amazing. I wish I had more pictures of it =/.

Good luck with your plants!

Ryan

4. jaserell

jaserell Member

spider plants should always be under potted. That's how you get the babies. Then you can take those babies root them in water and start another plant, or you can leave them on, then when you find the pot is too small and the roots are underpotted and growing all over then transplant them to another pot always not to much bigger.
    The bigger the pot you use the longer it'll take for the babies to form.
    I have one it's under potted and soon will be shooting off babies. They need to be watered atleast twice weekly.

5. babygurl6162008

babygurl6162008 Member

thankx mine already has about 20 babies on each spider plant i have and i only water it every couple days when the soil get dry