Beeches: Tri color Beech tree

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by teetee511, May 2, 2006.

1. teetee511

teetee511 Member

MY landscaper planted a 12 ft tri color beech Sept 2005. The tree appeared to have brown like leaves, and kind of bear. it's now May I see brown buds . what color are new buds? are tri color beech trees slow buders? I live in zone five, I am afraid this tree has died.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

European beech are still leafing out here in Zone 8. Your 'Purpurea Tricolor' may just be on the regular schedule there.

3. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Agree. I have a 6ft specimen in my yard that is just starting to have its leaves peak out of its buds. I recently visited a local landscape company that has several trees on the property. Nearly all the trees have full foliage...except the tricolor/copper beeches. I too, thought there must be something wrong with my tree, until I realized that this is likely a natural occurance for these beeches.

They simply appear to be "late bloomers".

4. Viet922

Viet922 Member

I also have a 12-foot Fagus syvatica tricolor. It is full of leaves now and looks very spectacular. It is better looking then the specimen I saw in the nurseries.

I came across a tree book that says some tricolor beeches may revert to its normal form (green) at maturity. But I hope this is not the case for my tree. Has anyone experienced that change in the tricolor beech?

5. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

Tricolor beeches will revert. The color on reverted leaves is more of a copper color than green. Any reverted branches should be removed, as they are more vigorous than the variegated ones and they will eventually overtake the tree. I'll try and take some photos this week of a reverted tree to share with the forum.

Another beech that tends to revert is 'Purpurea Pendula'. You will sometimes see vigorous upright copper branches on that cultivar which also need to be removed.

Scion Swapper

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

For purposes of accuracy, tree being discussed is F. sylvatica 'Purpurea Tricolor' ('Roseomarginata'), with purplish leaves (bronze in summer) splashed pink and white, mostly near the margins. With growth of the tree beyond the garden center size the white often diminishes markedly. It grows into a large tree in time. One in France was 100 feet tall in 1973.

Smaller growing, green, white and pink F. sylvatica 'Tricolor' is apparently extinct or nearly so.

7. wimpyw

wimpyw Member

We have a mature tri-color beech that has been beautiful in the past. As of yesterday, all the leaves look dead!! Is this tree diseased or dying, or is this normal as I have read on these forums that this type of tree looks best in the spring. We are in PA, drought causing this? Is there any fertilizers or anything we can use?

8. Viet922

Viet922 Member

I also live in PA, near collegevile.
    Last year my tricolor beech exhibited leaf-drying like your tree, but it did not die. Tthe draught definitely caused that. This year, I took good care of it by giving it plenty of water and the leaves are spectacular.

You should give it plenty of water right. If not the tree might die.

9. Nancy SS

Nancy SS Member

My tricolored beech is in full sun, in a latitude that is about 70 miles north of New York City. It is browning in the sun, and I am wondering if I should try to transplant it into partial shade. Would watering help? Any thoughts?

10. Jerry_Br

Jerry_Br Member

This should be able to take fun sun in your zone. I would also be careful about over watering. I have found that they don't like wet feet.

This time of year I would expect the leaves to start changing for Fall. Is this not about the same time as past years?

11. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

I love the tri color beeches and have always wanted one, but now I wonder if it is a good thing. Plus our temps here get so hot in the summer. Although I have seen it in different neighborhoods.

My dream tree is to get the Purpurea Pendula Beech. That grows tall and slim. I've seen it in a local nursery and they say it needs some shade. But how do you that when it grows taller than other trees or house tops?

They have it growing on the north side of a two story Nursery building. But it gets morning and afternoon sun.