can anyone identify photo of vine attached

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by cgreetings, Sep 29, 2007.

1. cgreetings

cgreetings Member

Last summer a neighbor of mine gave me four seeds from this beautiful vine that she had growing on her mailbox and I planted three this past spring. I now have tons of seeds and it is a beautiful vine with flowers on it and I wanted to know what it is. It has to be replanted each spring after the last frost.

thanks

DSC_0018.jpg

2. JanetW

JanetW Active Member

Don't Know what it is but it sure is stunning with the purplish undersides. Do you trade seeds? Janet

3. cgreetings

cgreetings Member

sure. Not sure how this would grow in the Canadian environment, it does not tolerate freezing weather, but does produce lots of bean pods to replant each year. I really wish I could find out its name so i could research it more!

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

hyacinth bean vine.

it loves heat/humidity. this is my second year growing it...and it does it's best growth during august when it's really humid and hot here. before that it is very slow growing.

i need to start it inside and then plant out when the soil and air is warm enough so that it has a bit of a head start. the vines can get to about 20 feet long. it will continue to bloom until the first hard frost. and all the blooms produce those amazingly colored pods! that's what really attracted me to the plant...

5. JanetW

JanetW Active Member

I see now, the "reddish undertone" was the beans, geez I'd better get my eyes checked!

6. cgreetings

cgreetings Member

Janet W would you like me to mail you some seeds? i have hundreds.

7. JanetW

JanetW Active Member

I would love some, thank you, I am sending you an email.

8. JanetW

JanetW Active Member

I can't send you an email, can you send me one from my profile page. Thanks, Janet
    P.S. if you have a list please send it and I will send you mine for trade, thanks again, Janet

9. pat bodnyk

pat bodnyk Member

So glad to see this inquiry. I just picked a piece of this same vine from a parking lot here in North Central Texas. Have only seen it twice. I have about 4 seed pods, should I plant in the spring here in our hotter climate?

10. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

11. wilsonfamily4

wilsonfamily4 Member

cgreetings
    I know this is an old thread but I was looking through vines to put around a mailbox and came upon your thread. I know I am new to this site but I was wondering if I can get your seeds as well? I cannot pm you yet as I don't have enough posts.
    Thank you

12. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i'd be glad to send some seeds to you...just send me a pm with your address when you have enough posts. or try clicking on my name and see if you can send an email...not sure if that functionality will work for you if the pm's don't...