Brugmansia (Angel's Trumpet)

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Charles Richard, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Hello,
    I have started cuttings of my brugmansia's in the past, but was wondering if starting them in Aug. is not a good time? I have started them in the spring, off of new growth.

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I don't think there's a bad time so long as you have space for them. What varieties do you have? I'm just down the road in Lantzville.

Cheers, LPN.

3. Charles Richard

LPN,
    Thank you for your reply. I have 3 and only one that I can put a name to. The orange one is 'grand marnier', very pretty, the flowers on it and the yellow one are more pendent than the other. The other starts out white, as the flowers mature it turns pink on the outer most edges of the flower. I find this one to be the most fragrant, especially in the evening. I had purchased the one named 'sanguineum', it had a orange/red flower with the yellow edges to the lip of the flower. More cigar shaped than trumpet. I lost that one, but it was constantly bothered by spider mites.

CR

4. Homestaymom

Homestaymom Member

Hello LPN,
    I your Angel Trumpet a regular plant?. Does it seeded.
    Mine's, Angel Trumpet grows from seeds every year.
    The ones that fall from the plants.
    It gets to crazy, there's so many, I had to take then out.
    Your's could be a better plant.
    Homestaymom

5. LPN

Homestaymom,
    What you likely have are Datura, which will self seed and can be quite prolific. Brugmansia on the other hand, is more sub-tropical in nature and will not behave in this manor. "Angel Trumpet" is a common name that is often associated with both genus, a problem that perpetuates in many other situations as well. Personally I stick to botanical names for this reason.

Charles Richard,
    I have a few myself. Yellow, pink, white and a variegated Brugmansia with cream colored flowers. Maybe a trade is in the works?

Cheers, LPN. (Barrie)

6. jenf

jenf Member

Hi Barrie/ Charles
    I have 2 Brugmansias, (Frosty Pink & Isabella) that I'm wanting to take cuttings from. I received them as cuttings and they've done very well this year. Two questions, should I wait until they've finished flowering to take cuttings? Would either of you be interested in trading for your varieties? I was hoping to get some that are orange/peach or double flowered, ie: just different than what I have. As I'm also in the neighbourhood, maybe we could swap.
    Barrie how are your J x B doing? I haven't had any B x J yet but the J x B that sprouted are doing great, on their 3rd frond now. Anyway........let me know if either of you are interested in a cutting trade.
    Jennifer

7. LPN

Jen ... You know I'm always up for a trade. You can take cuttings anytime, just remove the flower pods and excessive leaf mass.
    To be honest, I haven't really done any checking on any of the Butia x Jubuea or J x B. I did pot up some that had sprouted orignially, so I guess I should have a look.

Cheers, LPN.

8. Charles Richard

Hi Barrie / Jennifer,

I would be happy to let either of you have cuttings from my Brug's. I have just taken some from the white/pink egded one as it is one of my favorites. We'll see how they do. I started some of the orange one this spring and they did remarkebly well, but I do not have the juvenilles any longer. A friend just gave me a yellow one this spring and you are welcome to some from that one later on as it is not large and is just coming into bloom. The brugmansia 'sanguinea' that I did have (tubular flower/red with a yellow lip) from Christex Nursery in Nanaimo a couple years ago. Not sure if they still have them. Was not one of my favorites. What color is Isabella, Jennifer.

CR

9. jenf

jenf Member

Barrie, I'll e-mail. Charles, Isabella is white/pink, they show pics of it on the American Datura & Brugmansia Society web site, it's very similar to the frosty pink, but seems smaller & smaller leafed. If you want to trade for some yellow cuttings when they're ready, I'm game. I'll PM you, maybe we can set something up.
    Jennifer

10. Imola

Imola Member

Hello,

I'm doing a research at the Semmelweis University in Budapest, we want to mesure the alkaloids in Brugmansia species. In Hungary we dont have seeds on this plant, and therefore I want to ask you, if somebody could send me some dried leaf or flower, or seeds, we could analyse it. This chemical analysis is for poisonings under childrens, who eat the flowers, or any part of this plant, we try to make a difference between the parts of the flower, and the many subspecies, and cultivars.
    If somebody could help us, pls write me an e-mail:
    isoimola@gmail.com

thanks a lot!

11. Homestaymom

Homestaymom Member

Hello Imola,

Yes, I would like to send you some Angels Trumpets, plants.
    If you will send me where I would be able to send an Angels trumpets, seeds, leaf, small stem, and flower, please email me in my personal message.

Have a nice day,
    Homestaymom

12. Homestaymom

Homestaymom Member

Hello LPN,
    I would like to send you some seeds, where will I send them, Need Address?
    Yes, I would like to have some of those Angels trumpets that don't go wild.
    I'm here in Windsor Ontario

Thanks,
    Homestaymom

13. Homestaymom

Homestaymom Member

Hello angels Trumpets Lovers,

I would be happy to have some, of your's Angels Trumpet of different colors.
    Will you let me know and I will gve you where to send them.

Thanks,
    Homestaymom

14. wsm

wsm Member

Hi There
    I have Brugs that start out with a yellow flower then turn brillian white and one that is peach. Sorry I don't know the names right now.

I cut them back when they finish flowering and just stick pieces in the dirt. They always do well.

I would love some other colors and would mail you some for trades or pay postage.
    I have double white Datura Seed as well - Here in Ontario we are not always guaranteed that the seed will survive the winter so we have to collect it to be sure.

Please let me know - wsm_m@yahoo.com

and
    Have a great week
    wsm =Wendy

15. jenf

jenf Member

Hi Wendy
    I sent you an e-mail.
    Jennifer

16. wsm

wsm Member

Thanks Jennifer, got it.
    Wendy

Would love to trade, wow there is a lot of information here, I can't believe I didn't ever find this site before.
    Thanks everybody for the great information.
    Wendy

17. Homestaymom

Homestaymom Member

Hello Every One,

Your Angels Trumpet must be beautiful.
    I would like to have different colors,
    If anyone would like to share your plants,
    Please, my email is homestaysearch_international@yahoo.ca.
    I will pay for the postage.

Thanks in advance,
    Homestaymom

18. wsm

wsm Member

I will be able to give you a cutting from each.
    e-mail me wsm_m@yahoo.com

I also would love some other colors, This flower is spectacular.

Have a great week
    Wendy