potatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by passionflower, Sep 25, 2007.

1. passionflower

passionflower Member

New to growing potatoes this year. Had a problem with lots of them being uncovered and turning green and I know they are not edible but what I would like to know, is it possible to keep these green ones for growing a new batch of potatoes next year?

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes. But store them in a cool dry darkish place. When it comes time for your planting season pull them out and let them sit in filtered light. I am about to plant mine (southern hemisphere) I have had them greening for about 6 weeks. I am planting mine in a tyre tower (3 car tyres). fill the bottom tyre with good composty soil and place your seed potatos in a circle and cover them with about 6 inches of more good soil. As the shoots come through add another tyre and slowly fill the soil up as the shoots grow till the top tyre is full (no. 3) This is a neat way of growing spuds and they are easy to water and harvest. If you grow them in the garden then you need a deepish furrow place some blood and bone (bone meal) with each potato. Space them evenly along the furrow. About 9 inches or so apart. Then using a hoe heap the soil back over the furrow first from one side then go back up the row on the other side till you have a neat V shaped run over your potatos. As the shoots grow heap soil up a couple of times to keep the shoots supported and the young potatoes covered. You can also use straw mulch or similar down the rows to help keep moisture in and the young stuff covered.

Here are some pics of a tyre tower

http://the-goodlife.blogspot.com/2007/03/growing-potatoes-in-tyres.html

A furrow nd some info

http://home.vtown.com.au/~dbellamy/vegetables/spuds1.html

Liz

3. passionflower

passionflower Member

thank you for your timely response. Growing in the tyres is a pretty neat idea and certainly compact.