Magnolia (oyama) aka Sieboldii

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by passionflower, Aug 10, 2007.

1. passionflower

passionflower Member

I planted one of these trees about two months ago (only about a foot and a half high),

The new growth is fine but the leaves below are all turning a rust color. Any suggestions why? I have been watering it faithfully.

Thanks

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

And an accompanying image, sent to me via email:

Attached Files:

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I imagine the first question that folks might have is how it was planted - did you do anything to modify the site, or did you plant it in a hole in the ground?

4. passionflower

passionflower Member

I went to the nursery yesterday where I purchased this tree-they brought in 10 at the beginning of the season and only sold four-the six they had left were all in the same shape as mine with the yellowed leaves (but not as much rust color and crunch to the leaves) and were still in the pot. Those trees now are quite a bit taller compared to mine (they were all roughly the same height at purchase time) but nonetheless, they didn't look very healthy. The question I was asked was the same as you asked-what was done to the hole it was planted in. The hole was filled with some topsoil amended with compost. Personally, I think the tree is on its way out. The lady at the nursery said that it could be that the tree is concentrating on setting down roots and compromising the above-ground growth & to wait and see what next year brings.