Beginner needs help with Japanese Red Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Twinky Is Watching, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Twinky Is Watching

Twinky Is Watching Member

I've been looking to start a Japanese Red Maple bonsai from a sapling, I think I already have one picked out that has been growing for maybe a year or two now. Its up to my mid-thigh, (I'm 6 foot tall) I was wondering if it would be possible to make that into a bonsai? If it is possible I'm not sure if I should trim it down a foot or so? I'm not sure if that will kill it or not and I'm sure my Father would be pissed if I did.

Now, if I can't make it into a bonsai or just shouldn't, I do have a very large Red Maple growing in my front yard and its chock full of seeds at this time of year, but I'm not sure if I have the patience for growing it from seed.

Thanks in advanced.

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

You can make a bonsai from your tree, but without a bigger trunk it won't look very impressive. Perhaps you can move it in early spring to another location and let it grow for another couple years... it IS worth the wait.

Sow your seeds too, next year you will wish you had.

3. george nesfield

george nesfield Member Maple Society

As the Alien Abductee suggests you could make a bonsai of your maple now but it will not look very impressive with a trunk like a pencil, so let it grow on for a couple of years and then bonsai it, the trunk will have thickened a bit more by then. bonsai is all about time and you cannot rush it.
    George

4. Twinky Is Watching

Twinky Is Watching Member

Alright, I guess I'll leave the maple in the front yard till spring. Now, should I grab a few seeds right now? (I really want to make a clump style bonsai) And start germinating? Would it be smart to grow it indoors during the winter?

5. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

i don't think it would be a good idea to grow inside. Maples are hardy and they need the cold temps.

Are you referring to the seeds? Would you like to get rid of your JM seeds?

6. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

If your red maple is already mid thigh, how high will it be in a year or two. 4', 5'?
    Why not consider getting a much smaller variety like a Red Pygmy for example.
    Unless of course you want a big bonsai. There's quite a few smaller ones which won't try to get away on you.