embarasse de riches

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by soccerdad, Sep 19, 2007.

1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Last January I planted several strelitza seeds and several stephanotis seeds.

I tried putting the plants outside for the summer but they burned, even when not in direct light, so I kept them indoors.

Now it is Fall - I mention this for the Australian readers - and I assume that they should be entering a dormant period.

But they are growing much faster than before.

This is very satisfying. I am still watering them, and they remain in a heated room. But I am afraid that I am not doing the right thing. I assume that I should reduce the temperature and the watering, despite my pleasure at their current growth rate.

Yet I wonder - some indoor plants come from places where the temperature does not drop in Winter. Hawaii, I understand, has a uniform temperature all year around. So plants that grow there cannot require a less-heat less-water period to flourish.

So is it really necessary to give all indoor plants such a period.

And if it is only necessary to give some indoor plants such a period, are my twp among their number?

2. Joy Cooper

Joy Cooper Active Member

Hi to you soccerdad. The climate here is similar to that of coastal Sthn Cal or Florida & strelitzia are grown outdoors, in the hot sun. They flower all year round & do not appear to have a hibernation period of any kind. Further south (the cooler direction), they also bloom & grow leaves all year round. When I lived in Auckland, NZ we had one growing, also outside, which flourished all year round. They are native to South Africa, are extremely hardy & I would keep on doing exactly what you are right now, as they appear to be enjoying the attention. You certainly did well to raise them from seed & I'm sure they will let you know if all is not well. Best wishes for the winter.

3. soccerdad

Thanks. I will keep on as present, but I might eliminate, or at least substantially reduce, fertilizing.

4. Joy Cooper

Joy Cooper Active Member

I agree. Even though our winter is very mild & many of my potted plants (indoor & out) keep on growing, I don't feed them till spring (now). Gives me a break @ least. Strelizia are drought hardy, also. Happy growing.

5. soccerdad

My strelitzia and my stephanotsis continue to grow like mad. They are in the same location in my basement, at the same temperature, and under the same lights, as in July and August - our summer. Yet throughout September and the first half of October they have been growing much more rapidly. They can hardly sense that it is Fall outside, and anyway they would not respond by speeding up their growth if they did. Very strange. Not that I am complaining ...

6. Joy Cooper

Joy Cooper Active Member

Your strelitzia certainly seems to approve of the way it is being treated to be flourishing this way. As I mentioned earlier, they tend to grow all year round & do not have the hibernation periods common in colder climate plants. It obviously likes its present growing conditions & is rewarding you by continuing to sprout. Well done!! Do not know the stephanotsis but it also seems to like your basement, congrats.