ID Assistance

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by thymekiller, Jan 23, 2004.

1. thymekiller

thymekiller Member

A friend gave me these plants and neither one of us know what they are. See attachments for photos. Hope someone can help!! I need to know how to take care of them. Thanks!!!
    Thymekiller

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

first one looks like Dracaena marginata, not sure about the second one.

3. thymekiller

thymekiller Member

Thank you for the ID on the first one. I suspected it was in the dracaena family. The other one has me stumped, also. Maybe someone else has a clue...

4. Ali

Ali Active Member

My guess on the second on is echeveria gibbiflora metallica or at least something from this family!
    Hope that helps!

5. thymekiller

thymekiller Member

I dont believe it is an echeveria giddiflora, as those are listed as succulents, and I dont believe this is a succulent. It doesnt have the fleshy leaves characteristic of succulents. Thanks for the help, tho!!!

6. thymekiller

thymekiller Member

Here is another picture of a "baby" of the plant originally pictured. This plant throws off babies like a spider plant-on long arms that sprout from the base of the plant. have not seen it flower yet, but it appears very prolific. I planted one baby in the yard, frost got it, but when it warmed back up, a new plant was coming out from the dead leaves. Maybe the extra info will help with ID. Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

7. Ali

Ali Active Member

my next guess is a member of the sanservieria family rosette types....

8. thymekiller

thymekiller Member

I checked that out-cant seem to find an exact match, but some are similar...what other plants reproduce by throwing out babies like this?? I know its not a spider plant...

9. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

The first picture shows a plant in very poor health with branches from which most of the leaves may have fallen off and just the growing tips are barely clinging to life. The second picture seems to confirm that a healthy specimen just might have leaves all along its stems as opposed to plantlets at the ends of runners.
    I would not be surprised if it was a Tradescantia or one of its allies.

10. I don't know the botanical name but I have dozens of these. They are called "Dutchman's Pipe", fot the way the babies grow down and then turn up like an old fashioned pipe. they will grow outside in your garden as well. they will die back in the winter and come back in spring. Very hardy.

11. Chris Klapwijk

Dutchman's Pipe is a common name for some members of genus Aristolochia, which comprises about 300 species.

Woody stems usually thick with corky and fissured bark; leaves alternate, entire or 2-7 lobed, with palmate to pinnate venation, often deeply cordate or subhastate at base, light green, soft to grey-green, subcoriaceous; pseudostipules present in some species, petiole sulcate.

An online search for genus Aristolochia returns many references and from the above and all the images I looked at, I would say that's not it either. I could be wrong, of course.

12. To me, the second picture looks like it may be some sort of bromeliad.

13. thymekiller

thymekiller Member

This is what its doing now. I know it needs help-any suggestions?? Should I just repot in regular potting soil? I'm not even sure if it likes full sun or not.

Attached Files:

14. Chris Klapwijk

sure looks like it wants to flower ....

15. ...but do we have a positive ID on this plant?? I have something similar, and I too wish to positively identify this plant. As it is still unknown, what do you recommend in the way of care??

16. thymekiller

thymekiller Member

Well, I have finallly been able to properly identify my plant. Turns out its a
    Callisia fragrans. It is in fact about to flower. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me with this.

17. Ali

Ali Active Member

ha ha I was just on the garden web and I saw your plant and I raced back here to give you the name and you had just id'ed it! Went back to the thread and scrolled down to see your post there! I thought that you might find that amusing!

18. thymekiller

thymekiller Member

That truly is funny...I have been trying for awhile now to ID it, then we both see it on the same day. Thanks for the effort!!

19. callisia fragrans

20. billh

billh Member

Hi,
    I am about to relocate to the coastal bend area (Portland or CC) from Phoenix. Do you have much success with Cacti & Succlents there??
    Bill H.

21. jharrison

jharrison Member

Second Plant, Callisia fragrans

I purchased one in South Padre Island a couple of years ago, its everywhere in my beds. Likes full sun or shade. Super easy to propgate, any of the sprouts will start new plants. I have even grown one over six feet tall on a cage, but two summers now and I have not noticed any blooms. They make a very tropical ground cover for a larger plant or small tree.