Garden speaker suggestions?

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by chuckrkc, Mar 9, 2006.

1. chuckrkc

chuckrkc Active Member

I have joined a garden association in Kansas City that regularly brings in speakers for Saturday morning presentations. Last fall we had John E. Bryan, author of an epic tome titled "Bulbs," speak. We had Allen Armitage and Natalia Hamil in last year, too. This spring we had Tres Fromme, a planning and design leader from Longwood Gardens, in. We also have had some regional luminaries.

Do you have a suggestion of an author or gardening expert you have heard speak that did a good job? We are not rich, by any means, but we aren't the paupers of the garden club world, either.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Chuck

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

The Vancouver Hardy Plant group brings in several speakers per year and someone always does a review in their newsletter. You might find some ideas poking around their website at http://www.vancouverhardyplant.org/.

Currently on the home page is a review of a presentation by Anna Pavord, which I also attended and found very thought-provoking, although her new book is not as close to actual hands in the dirt gardening as some clubs might like.

I also recently heard someone say they had been very impressed with Gordon Hayward, landscape design author, as a speaker at an event somewhere in the US.

4. chuckrkc

chuckrkc Active Member

Thank you very much! These are great leads.

Chuck

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

6. padilla

padilla Member

Garden Sketching/Nature Journaling Re: Garden speaker suggestions?

I would be happy to include a presentation to garden club/societies of any reader as I schedule my lecture route: http://artinstructor.blogspot.com/ I am an international visiting botanical artist for arboreta, natural science museums and colleges & universities. My presentatations visit the history of the botanical arts and plant explorers but are fun and hands on. Most groups have never had a speaker to this beloved topic.

I am in your area, the USA midwest, twice a year Chuck....Missouri Botanical Garden, Powell Gardens, Red Cedar Country Garden, Lake Quivira Country Club.

Cynthia Padilla, Editor Sketching & Drawing. Garden & Hearth: http://www.gardenandhearth.com/SketchingandDrawing.htm

7. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

Good suggestion Daniel! My supervisor is the current president of the Garden Writers Association. He is an excellent speaker on many different topics! Kansas City isn't too far from Arkansas!