Identification: I don't have a clue...

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Ginger Blue, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

I've got a Schefflera actinophylla that's been in a pot for several years. It winters in the house and summers on the front porch. About a year ago something started sprouting from the soil. I kept waiting for it to turn into something recognizable, but so far it's not ringing a single bell for me.

It's sprouting from the soil in different parts of the plant, like it's coming up from the roots rather than reseeding. The plant has no leaves as such, just "stem". It has never had leaves, flowers, seeds, etc. It's always looked just like you see here.

It's not fleshy (it's not Rhipsalis). I keep thinking it reminds me of Equisetum arvense, but the arrangement is all wrong. Though...it does resemble it in the way it feels.

I'm going to have a "duh" moment when you guys ID this, I'm sure. But I can't figure it out.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Psilotum nudum - a rather interesting rare fern-relative, often cited as one of the most primitive of all vascular land plants, tho' recent evidence suggests it isn't so primitive after all.

3. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

Yeah...I knew I'd go "duh". See...I knew it was a primitive (hence it ringing a bell with Equisetum) and I was even doing image searches for "broom plant" because that somehow sounded right. Gee...botany class was too many decades back for me.

Okay...now the real question...where did this come from? I had this plant for at least three years before it sprouted. And this is not a plant kept in the wild. Had to be potting soil. Now that's a new one.

Thanks for the ID Michael. Much appreciated!