Phalaenopsis - purple leaves

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by orchid10, Sep 8, 2007.

1. orchid10

orchid10 Member

I'm wondering if somebody could help identify why my phalaenopsis' new leaves are growing in purple (see pictures). It is a purple hybrid and I'm wondering if it's maybe genetics or it has been receiving too much light. It's usually placed on a cabinet next to a window but never receives direct light. Pictures were taken in the sun for the purpose of the photo.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Could be genetic but highly unlikely to be from excess light through your window. Unless the window light is extremely bright and direct for a long period of time that should not damage or harm the specimen. I did find one note on a competing plant board which attempted to explain this phenomenon. I cannot verify if their information is scientifically accurate in any of the more than one dozen texts in my orchid library. There are others on this board who are quite knowledgeable regarding orchid species so you may find other responses.

My advice would be, as long as the plant is healthy, has medium green leaves, and continues to produce flowers, just water and fertilize it as recommended in good orchid culture and don't be overly concerned.

3. everlasting

everlasting Active Member

There are many species of that kind of orchids here in the Philippines, especially the local ones, that have purple leaves.

4. orchid10

orchid10 Member

Thank you for the replies. The plant seems to be in good condition but the purple leaves were a bit of a surprise since the old foliage is green, top and bottom. I'll keep an eye on it and watch for anything out of the usual