I don't have many worms in my compost?

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by newbeegreengirl, Sep 7, 2007.

1. newbeegreengirl

newbeegreengirl Member

I am wondering why I don't have many worms in my compost. I think the surrounding soil has a lot of clay in it. I needed to increase the drainage in the soil surrounding my second bin. (garbage can full of drilled holes for air circulation & drainage.)

If I add red wigglers to the compost will this help?
    Where might I get some in the Langley area?

2. MdeHaan

MdeHaan Member

Eeek! No!!
    Go to the forum search function and enter 'earthworms destroying forests' and follow the links for a fascinating read.

Have you tried adding a couple of shovelfuls of good soil from your garden to the heap? - this may inoculate it with all kinds of good stuff.

If compost is too wet that could certainly be your problem. Some obvious suggestions - keep the can covered to keep rain out; add quantities of "dry browns" -like dry shredded leaves, or shredded paper, or even dry peat moss, and toss well.
    (yes, yes I know we shouln't be using peat.) Other options include fine sawdust, finely shredded bark, though these are a bit slower to decompose.

Marie

3. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Red wigglers are different from earthworms.

If you make your composter/compost more suitable for the worms you do have, they will multiply. You don't need to add any worms.

4. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Hi Newbeegreengirl

Are you a Langley resident? The Worm Composters are available for Township of Langley residents for $30, through the Langley Environmental Partners Society. Contact LEPS at 604-532-3514. LEPS may also be able to advise you on where to find worms for your composter. Backyard Composters are available from the Township of Langley Operations Centre or Civic Facility, call 604-532-7300. Many local governments sell composters at a subsidized price to reduce waste.

5. cowboy

cowboy Active Member

<< I am wondering why I don't have many worms in my compost. >>

Worms are not a part of the hot aerobic composting process. They would cook if added to your compost bin when it was built. It is possible for worms to enter a compost curing or storage bin if it is sited directly on the soil. Otherwise just add the compost to your garden and let the worms enjoy it then.