Looking for local grower of species clematis Vancouver area.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Peregrine, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Does any one have available/is growing species clematis in the Vancouver region- Asian, European, North American, the World? Please contact me. Thanks.

2. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Lots of garden centres around the Lower Mainland have wish lists for customers to "order" plants they'd like. UBC Botanical Garden's Shop in the Garden is a good source of clematis, as are Southlands, David Hunter, The Natural Gardener, and Earthrise. Clearview is the main supplier I think.

3. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Thanks Debbie. I am aware of the sources you mention. Species clematis in general is difficult to find; for example, integrefolia(European), species clematis texensis, The Chinese ones( a gorgeous white form briefly available in the States) etc. I am just putting out for some one who might be growing clematis from seed. Peregrine

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It might take a little while to find other Clematis growers this way if you're not having luck right away (people who aren't already registered on the forums will need to find this thread, which will eventually happen via search results).

One consideration might be to join the American Clematis Society - that could help with finding other folks regionally who share a similar interest.

5. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Thanks for the suggestion Daniel. Peregrine

6. MdeHaan

MdeHaan Member

I recently purchased Clematis campaniflora from Fraser's Thimble Farms on SaltSpring island. Their catalogue also lists C. spoonerii and C. ligustifolia. They have their catalogues and shipping/mail order info on their website at www.thimblefarms.com.
    Marie

7. unther

unther Active Member

I think I've occasionally seen C. columbiana listed in the North American Rock Garden Society seed exchange. I've seen C. hirsutissima in the wild in Idaho (I think it used to be a subspecies of C. columbiana, but I guess it's been upgraded to specific status.), and it looks like it shouldn't be too hard to grow in cultivation.

8. Tatra

Tatra Member

If you are willing to try growing from seed, you really should check out the Canadian seedhouse, Gardens North in Ontario at www.gardensnorth.com. I can't think of a seedhouse I have dealt with that comes close to them in selection and quality of seed.

I've dealt with them for over a decade, and grown dozens of species Clematis from their offerings. The owner is a first-class plantswoman and considered the North American germination guru. She specializes in species plants, many of them wild collected. You will be amazed at this years' Clematis listing; many I have never even heard of---and some are already gone--I note that she had C. hirsutissima, C. fremontii and C. tenuiloba until recently. I also recall C. crispa and C. pitcheri among some of the natives....and there are tons of Asian and European species as well.

Tatra
    in snowy Ontario