pear tree diseased?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by learningtogrow, Sep 2, 2007.

1. learningtogrow

learningtogrow Member

This is my first post here - just starting to garden but very interested. We bought and planted a Golden Spice pear this Spring. It was, or seemed to be, very happy in its location. However, after not looking at the tree for about 2 weeks (little kids, camping etc.) I went to see it and was shocked to see the leaves turning yellow with brown/black on the edges and the (is it called?) buds black, too. I am worried that it may have fire blight but when I did a lot of Google-searching the pictures that I saw were usually of trees earlier in the season, so the pictures were of blossom blight or shoot blight. This doesn't look the same, but it's very drastic. We have a mature pear tree in the yard which, in comparison, has no yellowing at all. I was wondering whether any more experienced gardeners would have any idea whether I need to panic. If it's fire blight I think the tree has to go, as all of it seems affected.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jascha

jascha Active Member

It's more than likely pear scab or some other fungus. If and when leaves start falling off, promptly rake them up and dispose of them so you can break the cycle for next year. You may also consider looking into a sulphur spray to help limit fungus before it starts next season. I think your branch looks like it cracked from stress. I would keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't a fungal infection that is getting larger.

3. learningtogrow

learningtogrow Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely dispose of the leaves as they drop.

I am not quite so worried about fire blight as I read that it leaves a brown area inside the wood and I did not find that when I cut into two branches today. But is it typical for fungus to suddenly affect a whole tree like that (mind you it's only 5.5 feet tall)? Would it be something that the tree brought with it from the nursery?

I am learning a lot about pear diseases. There is quite a lot that can go wrong, to my surprise!

Attached Files:

4. jascha

jascha Active Member

From your latest picture, I'm also curious about something else. Is that long grass growing around the base of the tree? In my experience, it is best to keep weeds and grass to a minimum around the base of new trees because they compete with the tree for nutrients and moisture. In addition, they provide homes for rodents which like to nibble on tender roots and bark.

It is possible for fungus to affect an entire tree. I would definitely research the use of sulphur sprays for next year. Some varieties of pears are sensitive to sulphur, so test on a few leaves and leave it for a few days before spraying the whole tree. This will only prevent an outbreak...it cannot stop fungus on the foliage once it has already started.

5. learningtogrow

learningtogrow Member

Jascha, that's wheat growing under my tree. I guess I need to cut it! Hopefully the wheat had nothing to do with the fungus....

I appreciate your suggestions and will definitely research sulphur sprays.