honeysuckle mandarin attacked

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by gypsy1, Aug 30, 2007.

1. gypsy1

gypsy1 Member

This is my first post, I think 've found a valuable resource here! I have a mandarin honeysuckle in it's second year at our cabin. It has taken off and now has main vines well over 8 ft, georgeous with new growth and bloom early in season, now it's being eaten by something and appears to have lost it's vigour and colour is yellowed. This started after blooming around August 1st, first with the yellowing. At that time I was unable to see anything on underside of leaves but washed it with soapy water as best I could. Now it appears that something is munching the ends especially. Any ideas on bugs that prey on this plant and prevention strategies, I am not there all the time so need to be on top of it next year. Thanks

2. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

Likely aphids. Can you see any near the new foliage? We have had a pretty big swell in the aphid population in the last two weeks here(1/2 hr south of Edmonton), but then again, it could also be leafhoppers, as they have been crazy this year as well, or a combination of things. Post a pic, and I'm sure someone will be able to narrow it down.

3. gypsy1

gypsy1 Member

Thanks for the info, I didn't see any aphids , I know them to see them. Will have to research more into leafhoppers. Are they likely to choose honeysuckle over other vines? I have clematis and Virginia Creeper nearby which are fine. Unfortunately, I won't be back to cabin this fall so can't provde picture. Any tips on control appreciated. Thanks again.

4. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

The leafhoppers don't seem to bother my clematis, but they seem to enjoy the Virginia creeper. I don't use any pesticides myself, preferring to let nature even itself out. I'm not convinced that you end up much farther ahead when you spray. Most 'safe' insecticides need to come into contact with the insects in order to work, and as most like to hide out under the leaves, this can be a fairly daunting task in itself. It's really impossible to advise on how to treat the problem without seeing pictures and knowing for sure if it is insects or not. The yellowing of the leaves could also be lack of water, or because of the zone that we are in, it could already be entering it's dormancy, and the leaves could just be turning colour. There are a lot of plants that are turning early this year. Likely an early winter. :(
    Either way, if it is disease, you should see signs early in the spring; if it's bugs, then you should have vigorous new growth in spring. Most insect infestations are cyclical so the problem may take care of itself during the winter. If it recurs, post some pics, and I'm sure someone will be able to tell you definitively what the problem is.

5. gypsy1

gypsy1 Member

Will watch carefully next spring. I love this vine in flower and just hope I can keep the foliage looking great after blooming next season. This is in BC Zone 4/5 by the way. Have you ever grown climbing hydrangea? I would love to get one started, heard they take awhile to establish.

Carol aka Gypsy1