How to protect potted JM in winter?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Marchela, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Marchela

Marchela Member

Hello,
    I am new to this forum.
    I recently potted five 1-year old Japanese maples: Villa Taranto, Toyama Nishiki, Goshiki Shidare, Orangeola, and Koto no Ito. I plan to plant some of them in the garden in couple years. Would like to know how to protect potted JM in winter. I am in north NJ (zone 6). Should I move them inside (in the garage or shed)?
    Also which one of the above trees is suitable to grow in containers?
    Thank you very much in advance.

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes. Would think all.

3. george nesfield

george nesfield Member Maple Society

Hi,
    You can grow all your acers in containers if you wish ,I grow most of mine in extra large pots, that way you can move them around your garden to suit the view that you require.and I think I would move them all into your garage or shed over the winter but you don't want it heated. you can see my acers here at http://koi-z-are-us.20m.com
    George.

4. DamienO'Connor

DamienO'Connor Active Member

George, I just visited your site.
    I love your garden, I wish I could do that sort of thing.

5. Bonsai Resources

Bonsai Resources Member

George,

Very nice garden!! It must have been a lot of work.

Marchela,

Maples need to go threw dormancy in the winter to be strong the following year. If you move them to a garage make sure they get cold enough to enter dormancy (below freezing). The important thing is that the roots do not freeze. You could leave them outside during the winter but you will need to bury the pots in the ground so they are not exposed to a hard freeze.

6. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

I ditto Marchela. Put in ground or surround with bark. I don't think I ever babied my Crimson Queen that I planted in a wine barrel, I think 6 years ago, it is protected some what on my deck on the north side of the house. On the westside of the tree is a lattice that clematis climb on. So it gets some protection from the clinging vines I leave on the lattice. But it gets snowed on and rained on does just fine. I bought it at Home Depot for $19.00 in a gallon pot if not larger more than 6 years ago.

7. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

George!
    I've been to your website before...but I can't recall how I got there. LOL But what stuck with me was your tortured willow...what type of willow is it. I was planning on do what you did on a globe willow we have in our yard that has rooted on several branches after we had to cut down some branches and it fell intou our irrigation pond and my son never got them out.

I have a koi pond as well, but was revamped and is taking longer than I thought it would take to get it back up and running. Actually I have two koi ponds, one in back and one in front and other large round tanks for extra fish and waterlilies.
    COOL!

8. george nesfield

Hi,
    my tortured willow is a salix matsudane sometimes called the totured willow and sometimes called the chinese dragon tree.
    best of luck with your koi ponds.
    George.

9. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Hi George,
    I thought your tortured willow was tortured because you wound it up in a spiral. Is this right? Well, I looked up in the dictionary to be sure I spelled tortured right.
    Found tortuous meaning snaky, winding, sinuous, twisting, and crooked.

I didn't see the word totured. Is that a misspelling? Also, is this the type of willow we call in Idaho 'Corkskrew Willow' ? So did you buy it this way already in a spiral?

10. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Okay, I went on a search and found that the Corkscrew Willow is the tortuosa.

But it does look like you tortured it to become a spiral. LOL

11. george nesfield

Hi,
    Sorry, yes it is tortured not totured which was a spelling mistake,and I twisted the trunk round an iron bar as it grew as they are easily bent when they are growing and eventually the iron bar disapears in the spiral and the twists weld them selves together as you can see from the one on my website.
    George.

12. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member