Euphorbia winter-care?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by AglaonemaAddict, Aug 30, 2007.

1. AglaonemaAddict

AglaonemaAddict Active Member

Does anyone know if it is common for euphorbias to go dormant in the winter? I place mine in a room approx. 60 degrees for the winter. I have noticed that several of them develop new growth in the winter, even though I am not watering them. Since the cooler temps will be approaching soon I would like to find out about dormancy. Thanks.

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Most Euphorbia species are considered winter dormant. I agree, though, that it seems that there is some growth into early winter and also late winter, so simply from observation, I would say the dormancy is pretty short.

Keep it simple. Water when dry. No magic, there.

3. AglaonemaAddict

Thanks. That makes sense to me. I've been told to only water them once a month in the winter, that didn't work for me (lost too many). Then I was told to water them only once during the winter, that didn't work either. Now, I'm considering just leaving them at room temperature, instead of the cold room and see the results. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  4. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Most U.S. homes with forced-air heating end up with a low relative humidity, however some furnaces are now equiped with humidifiers. So to make a recommendation for a specific frequency for watering would be foolish. When the soil is dry, water. Problems seem to occur when folks water before the soil is dry,...or they take some bad advice and not water at all, because the plant is suppposed to be dormant. Unfortunately, the roots can be so desicated that they no longer function when it does come time to water. So, just watch the plant and see what it needs, and don't water it because you are watering all your other plants...check it first.

Most plants, succulents and tropicals alike, will tolerate the typical range of temperatures found in most Ohio homes during the winter (60-75*F)...I would not try to keep Euphorbias at anything less than 55*F, so I think a traditional coldhouse would not work.

5. AglaonemaAddict

Makes a lot of sense to me. Since I have a lot of succulents, and I'm not an expert, I've been listening to some so-called experts. One in particular told me I need to keep the temps around 60 degrees and not water at all during the winter (dont' worry if the cacti shrivel, as they store water and will pop back to life in the spring). That theory didn't work for me.
    I appreciate all info on euphorbias because I love learning. Thanks!