A new home for our "boy"!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Suzanne1, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Suzanne1

Suzanne1 Member

Please help... We live in Brewster NY and we have a Norfolk Pine that my husband got me in 1987 as a loving holiday gesture. It came in a 3" pot complete with candy cane. I have fed it and watered it and repotted it numerous times and it has given us years of holiday pleasure and has become the conversation piece as well as a member of the family. People feel the need to ask — "do you know you have a tree growing in your living room"? A few years ago, the tree, now over 9' in diameter had stopped growing tall and started growing wide when it realized it had reached the ceiling, but just last week it decided to go for it, and it sprouted yet another section and is now skating the ceiling. We need to find it a home — FAST ! We need help. It has taken over our tiny condo and we are at our wits end. We don’t want to see it go, but it’s either him (we named it “the boy”) or us. We don't know anyone who has a home big enough for it. We called the NY Botanical Gardens, but they won't take him. We don't think we can plant it anywhere here because the winters will be to harsh on him. What can we do? We are desperate... It is an absolutely beautiful, healthy and a really good tree that needs a loving home or atrium.
    > Sincerely,
    > Suzanne R

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2007
  2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i'm sure there's at least one public park in the city you live in...why not donate there?

3. Suzanne1

Suzanne1 Member

We live in NY. If you know anything about Norfolk Pines, they must live outside in warmer temperatures OR they must live inside. That's why you usually find them in Atriums or homes with very high ceilings... or in Florida. But thanks for the suggestion...

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It needs to be grown indoors in New York (actually, in most of North America). One possibility, unless you feel it needs to be donated to a public place, is to try and sell it. "Interior landscape designers" (is that the name of the profession?) will often use these in large spaces in office buildings, though it would not be suitable for an entryway in New York. There is a very impressive one in a mall here in Vancouver which is decorated every year during December.

5. Suzanne1

Suzanne1 Member

It just need to have a good home and someone who will care for it. It is so beautiful, but it is wide and most of them are tall. It just adapted to the space a little to nicely I might add.

6. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

I agree with Daniel. Few residential home owners will have the room for such a specimen, however there are several businesses that supply and care for plants for commercial buildings, hotels, etc. that may be interested.

7. Suzanne1

Suzanne1 Member

Thanks so much for your reply.

8. MichelleLee4

MichelleLee4 Member

Suzanne,

Have you checked around at other Botanical Gardens in NY? I wish I lived closer, I would come and get it and take care of it or take it to the Botanical Garden in OKC.

Michelle

9. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i didn't know that it can't take the cold.

i'd contact some of the companies that do plants for busnesses. that's your best bet at finding a home for 'the boy'!

for you to sell it to a private owner, they'd have to have a cathedral ceiling in some part of the house...

10. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Your tree sounds beautiful!

If you really don't mind it being wide, and are maybe more concerned about it's height right now, you can trim the top back, not sure on the side branches. I had a NIP many years ago that was also touching the ceiling (got it from a friend) I trimmed the very top back about 8" to 12" The tree later grew multiple tips because of the trim, but I didn't mind, I actually thought it looked better!

11. Suzanne1

Suzanne1 Member

Michelle OKC, If you know FOR SURE that your Botanical Gardens would take it, I would arrange to have it shipped there. That's really where it should go. I never thought it would EVER get so big. My husband and I should have started thinking about this about a year ago. I don't want to rush into anything now that it has become an emergency.