Corn Gluten

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Chris Bryan, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Chris Bryan

Chris Bryan Member

I'm seeking somewhere in the Vancouver area where I can purchase corn gluten to try on my lawn as an alternative to weed and feed, to eliminate my dandelions (or at least reduce their abundance!).
    I'd rather not buy online. I've phoned a few garden centres and asked at Evergreen.ca, and have so far come up empty.
    I appreciate any suggestions!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Gardenworks on Lougheed in Burnaby carries it but keep in mind it isnt registered for use as a pesticide in Canada.

3. Chris Bryan

Chris Bryan Member

Thanks for the recommendation, jimmyq! What does that mean that it's not registered for use as a pesticide? Is that a concern?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

I know our Farmer's COOP sells it in bulk. If you have a place that sells livestock feed, I bet they sell it.

6. Alan Dudley

Alan Dudley Member

I'm a natural lawn care provider and have lots of corn gluten meal available. Please feel free to e-mail me for more details.

7. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Alan Dudley, I assume you have used corn gluten in your lawn care. Could you say first hand that this has controlled weeds in lawns? And if it has, what weeds in particular seem to be most effected by it? I would be interested to hear if you are getting any results with this corn gluten. Being in the weed control business it always nice to hear first hand if any other products are effective.
    Thanks Jim.

8. Alan Dudley

Alan Dudley Member

Hi Jim,

We at Turf Logic use CGM as a fertilizer as part of our lawn care system. It acts to inhibit weed seed germination among other benefits for the grass. I would not state that it kills existing weeds. We focus on growing grass to try to choke out the weeds, whereas customers are often times obsessed with their weeds.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
    Alan

9. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for your reply Alan, I just wondered if it did at all slow down the weed germination in turf lawns? I am just yet to find anyone first hand to say it made a difference. Or for that matter anyone like yourself who has actually used it. It is not used by many people, and when I read this post I just had to ask, I was just curious.
    Choking out weeds can be extremely difficult, but once you rid them, keeping them out isn't so hard by way of thick healthy turf thats for sure.

Thanks again.

Regards, Jim.

10. Alan Dudley

Alan Dudley Member

Jim,

Yes, I would say CGM does inhibit weed germination, helps in root development and acts as a source of nitrogen. I just love using the product and we're going to keep using it.

But to be fair, there are others who maintain that the amount of CGM needed is much more than previously thought. One of those is Michael Dean, President of Gaia Green Products Ltd, Grand Forks (www.gaiagreen.ca). You may wish to contact him for his opinion. He was a featured speaker at the 2007 Vancouver Garden Show held at Van Dusen.

Regards,
    Alan

11. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Good for annual weeds that die after leaving seeds behind. Naturally the best time for this purpose is in spring close the time of weed seed germination. This has already been mentioned above in different words.
    However, if some bags are left after spreading, make sure that the there is no moisture in the bags (wet corn glutton) because it rots and smells unbearable. I was forced to burry my two wet bags deep in the compost pile. It smelled!

12. sarahatbernheim

sarahatbernheim Active Member Maple Society

I'm trying to get some information on corn gluten meal and both sides of the story.The arboretum I work for is looking into trying it out and we'd like to get as much info as possible to make an informed decision it. I know some people say it works and some people say it does not work. I've followed some of the links here and would like to know if anyone knows of any other links or people I could contact. Any help would be great!!

13. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Sarah
    Google search with "Corn Gluten" and you will get tons of links.

14. Colin

Colin Member

15. Alan Dudley

Alan Dudley Member

Re: Corn Gluten & Health Canada site

Colin,

Thank you very much for the CGM update and in particular, posting that link to the Health Canada website for checking on whether or not a product is registered for use in Canada. It's a site that many of us will find handy from time to time.

Alan

16. Colin

Colin Member

Alan,

No problem...and, feel free to ask me any corn gluten meal question you have. Some of the information given regarding CGM in forums like this are incorrect or missleading.

Colin