Identification: Please help me identify this plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Sandpiper-N121PP, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Sandpiper-N121PP

Sandpiper-N121PP Member

I recieved this plant over 2 years ago and it has gone thru a lot. Almost died and then grew like crazy. I have been searching all over the internet for what it is and cannot find it. It I know is NOT a prayer plant. The leaves do not fold up at night. You can see that the leaves are green on top with a white line near the outside edge. Then they are the most beautiful purple on the bottom... seen in the second picture. The leaves have been known to get as big as small childs hand or a little larger. I really love this plant and would like to help it mature better. Please help me to find out what it is for I love to look at it everyday.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

A Google image search on Calathea 'Medallion' returns some specimens that look suspiciously similar to your plant. But then again with so many species of Calathea to choose from...

3. Sandpiper-N121PP

Sandpiper-N121PP Member

Thank you!

It is from the Calathea family. I was able to research and found out that it is infact a Calathea Roseopicta. Now I can take care of it properly and watch it grow really well. Thank you again and God Bless you for all of your help.