Asparagus

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by fleur52, Aug 23, 2007.

1. fleur52

fleur52 Active Member

How does one know when to let the asparagus "go to seed"?
    And, once this happens, can the tops be cut back at some point, so the large plume tops don't fall over on the other garden vegetables?

Fleur

2. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

My experience is that the asparagas 'goes to seed' all by it self. The berries form and when ripe they fall off thus seeding the surrounding area. I would not recommend cutting off the plumes since this is feeding the root system so that you will get a crop next year.

If the plants are leaning over other garden vegetables it is better to put some stakes in the ground and make an enclosure with rope or string to keep the plants under control.

Anne

3. fleur52

fleur52 Active Member

Thanks Anne~
    I wasn't sure if all this top was draining the plant of nutrients needed for next year's stalks. Can you keep cutting the spears as long as they appear or is there a time to stop and let the plant re-group for next year?

4. Luv2Grdn

Luv2Grdn Active Member

I stop harvesting my asparagus in mid July. When the weather get to hot. I have trimmed the tops of my asparagus 1/3 the way down. Didn't seem to hurt it.
    I don't ever cut asparagus that is smaller than my pinky finger.
    My mother in law uses salt to keep the grass out of her bed. I just weed it.
    Thought I would through that titbit in there for you.

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

When I had asparagus, I used to stop when it was throwing thin spears (as Luv2Grdn says, smaller around than your pinky is a good gauge) - this used to happen naturally in mid-July. I then trained the ferns up into an open-lattice trellis so that the berries wouldn't re-seed into my carrots and beets, just into the part I had designated for the asparagus. Once the berries have dropped, you can cut the fern close to the ground.

6. fleur52

fleur52 Active Member

Great information guys... thanks so much.

Fleur