August garden shots

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by palmera, Aug 19, 2007.

1. palmera

palmera Active Member

So here's the garden in August. It may have been a poor summer for roses, but the tropicals LOVED the rain. Can't wait to see what things will look like by October!

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Nice pics palmera...where's all your palms, lol, I think I only seen 1. I love the mix of succulents, bananas or heliconias, alocasias. Hey whats the plant to the right of your bananas/heliconias in the 3rd pic? Well done

Ed

3. palmera

palmera Active Member

Palms in my garden are kinda like 'Where's Waldo' right now. All the other tropicals tower over the junior palms. Most of them are under 3 feet tall with a few up to the 5 foot range. If you look close, in the center of pic #1 is a 2 foot Jubaea. The chameleon is looking right at it. You certainly can't tell from the pics, but I have around 40 palms in the yard. Everything from trachys of all sorts to various sabals, jubaeas, butias, and pheonix. I am proud to say that with very little protection, all my little ones made last winter quite well.
    The plant to the right of the banana in pic #3 is my brugmansia. It should open it's first blossom this week. Very exciting!

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Wow girl...your place is looking great, mine is pretty lush at the moment as well, but not as tidy as yours.

Attached Files:

5. edleigh7

Very nice pics palmera & Carol...might have to break the camera out, although mine is pretty untidy at the moment because of the end of winter. Love that pond Carol...any fish?

Ed

Attached Files:

• 137.JPG
      137.JPG
      File size:
      325.2 KB
      Views:
  6. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Geez ... now I definately know I have to start on more hardscape for the garden. I had an estimate from one guy that wanted a kings ransom. Now it's plan B which is going to take some patience. Well done! We gotta hook up again before too long.

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

7. edleigh7

Yes, landscapers charge like a wounded bull. I did all of mine myself over 3 years. Living in sub tropical I only worked in winter and I just plodded along, I saved myself about $10,000.00 in landscaping I reckon.

Ed

8. palmera

palmera Active Member

LOVE the pond Carol. Did you find all that rock on your property? I know that SSI is mostly made of rock anyways! Very nice job with the gunnera behind.

9. Carol Ja

Thanks for the compliments.
    I have tons of fish, so if anyone want some let me know. In the spring my seven year old sold two hundred little fish at the market made a killing. Now we have another two hundred or so.....looks like she is going to make another wad for her wallet.
    I didn't have to pay much for the landscape, my spouse is a Landscape Architect (kinda handy for me).
    The rock....some comes from five doors down, other comes from my cottage down the road. I paid fifty dollars for the moving of the big rocks from the neighbors to here, the rest were brought by my own truck, because they were smaller.
    We built this garden last years spring, so I don't have a lot of mature plants yet, but its getting there.
    There is still lots to do, waterfall to finish, the driveway is on top of the list, then the back yard, then of course there is the house to finish....the list goes on....

10. LPN

Carol ... you'll be surprized how quickly your garden will fill in. I look back at photos from 5 years ago and I'm shocked at the progress of my garden. You should expect no less.

Cheers, LPN.

11. palmera

palmera Active Member

Carol, my garden is in it's 6th season from scratch. There was nothing on this lot when we moved here...well, except for the house. Just blackberries and snakes. (the snakes are still here, unfortunately!)

12. Carol Ja

I made My daughter carry the snakes down the road, she was happy to do it as they were eating her fish.

13. LPN

I only have small dogs. They love to find snakes although have no idea what to do with them. I do have older step-kids and a pair of snake skin boots would be to there liking. Maybe the dogs and the step-kids can work out an arangement!?

Cheers, LPN.

14. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

U all have beautiful pics and alot of hard work to make them look that good so I give all of you props I wish my garden looked as good as all of yours.

Tom24

ps: heres some pics of some of my palms,

Attached Files: