cranberry bush for home garden

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by kalder, Nov 26, 2006.

1. kalder

kalder Member

I have a space in my garden that I would like to fill with cranbery bushes. The commercial market is huge but there does not appear to be information for the home gardener, Has anyone had success with cranberries in the home garden?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

cranberries grow in bog conditions usually. and to be honest, I cant recall ever seeing a production variety for sale at a garden center. as a last resort, go to a cranberry farm and see if they can get you a few plants somehow, there must be a nursery somewhere that propogates them.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Are you asking about cranberries as in Thanksgiving or cranberry bushes as in Viburnums?

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Brian Minter has talked up cranberries a few times on his radio show...he figures they are an awesome garden plant. Apparently no more bog requiring than blueberries, which I do see in landscapes a bit here.

As mentioned they can be hard or impossible to find. A landscaper friend spent a year or more looking for some to fill a spec on a commercial project, last I heard he was going to beg some from a farmer as no nurseries had availability.

I would contact the garden centre at Minter Gardens to see if they had any leads, (I think www.mintergardens.com would get you started?)

They do sound like quite interesting little ground covers.

5. Just Curious

Just Curious Active Member

I will be pruning cranberries starting in January and can supply you with some cuttings if it's vaccinium and not viburnum that you want. They are easy to start.

6. kalder

kalder Member

Hello Just Curious
    Thank you for your generous offer of some cuttings. I want to grow the bushes that produce cranberry fruit ie. Thanksgiving. I can start them in January and pot them up .Do they multiply by spreading roots? What soil prep would you recommend and is partial shade acceptable for good fruit formation? How many years can one expect before a crop is produced? It is such a wonderful berry it is hard to believe that more are not grown in the home garden.
    thanks again for sharing
    kalder

7. Nancy749

Nancy749 Member

I just found this old post and I have the same questions as Kalder. Is there no one out there with answers?

8. Just Curious

Nancy,
    Cranberry's do not multiply by spreading roots. They are normally propogated by cuttings which are pushed into the soil. Root formation usually begins in 3-4 weeks with new leaves forming shortly after that.
    The growing medium should have a low PH, 4.5 to 5.5. Partial shade is OK but for good fruit production, full sun is best.
    They will begin to produce fruit in the third year and will continue producing for many years.
    Hope this helps.

9. kalder

kalder Member

Hi Nancy
    Thank you for the information . I started some cuttings in January and they have rooted beautifully and I even had a flower or two but no berries have formed. Maybe I will have enough berries for cranberry jelly in 2010.
    Kerry

10. Nancy749

Nancy749 Member

Justcurious,

Thank you for responding. Is it possible to grow a cranberry in a container? The soil here is very lime/chaulky.

11. Just Curious

Easily grown in containers.
    Several plants in a 1 gal. pot can make a nice display with the bonus of some edible fruit.