Looking for landscape help in Victoria

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by anti-gardener, Aug 7, 2007.

1. anti-gardener

anti-gardener Member

Hello everybody,

This is my first post on this wonderful forum but certainly not my last as I hope to learn a thing or two about gardening / landscaping and if I were to make friends, that would be a huge bonus.

Here is my situation. One year ago I hired a landscaper to redesign my backyard and change my frontyard slightly. Long story short, my $7000Cdn was not well spent and I'm left with a backyard that is overgrown with weeds and a headache that won't go away! What I plan on doing this year is hire someone to cleanup and level the entire backyard, construct an RV driveway and help me finish the frontyard. I am willing to do a lot of work but need direction / instruction and would like to know if there are landscapers in Victoria who will work with homeowners like this? My design is very simple as it involves a fair bit of hardscape (due to my allergies to trees, grass, some flowers) plus some softscape (ground cover, small plants are ok).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Consider contacting the BCLNA (604-574-7772) and see if they can give you some suggestions about reputable companies in your area.

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Is that like an association, similar to ASLA or APLD in the USA?

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

sorry for the abbreviation, yes, BCLNA is the BC landscape and nursery association.
    www.bclna.com is their website.

5. lauraf

lauraf Member

Hello,

although I have not hired a professional ladscaper (yet!), my suggestion would be for you to visit the "Glendale Gardens and Woodlands" on Quayle Road in central Saanich (http://www.hcp.bc.ca/). Besides being a really great place, they have classes on lots of different topics (you can find a list on their webpage), including residential landscaping. Meeting and talking to the teachers and other gardeners is probably the best way to collect good references and find someone you can rely on to redesign your garden.

Another possibility is to attend a meeting of the Victoria Horticultural Society (http://vhs.homestead.com) - I have never been, but I hear it's very interesting.

Best of luck!
    Laura