Passion Flower Soil mix

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by megles7187, Aug 12, 2007.

1. megles7187

megles7187 Member

I am new to mixing soil and really want to get it right the first time, so I am thinking about useing, African Violet Potting Mix, for my Passion Flower Incense. They seem to have the same requirments unless I am wrong, and I tend to be.

Also, how would I go about moveing it from it's small pot to a bigger one.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Passiflora like rich moist soil, so I think African violet soil would be fine.

To repot the plant, loosen it from its old pot, trying not to tear the roots excessively (you may have to turn it over and knock the top edge of the pot on a hard surface.) Spread out and inspect the roots to make sure they are not tangled or circling the pot at the base and to make sure there is not disease.

Passiflora
    'Incence' is hardy to USDA Zone 6 (it will die back to the ground and come up each spring.) You might consider planting it out in the ground if you have the space.

3. megles7187

megles7187 Member

Thankyou, it really likes it here, since I got it*less then a week ago* it is already grown 4inches and is spreading it's tenticals and clinging like crazy. I have heard mix reports that if you let it bloom it becomes a annual, not sure if I should believe thouse.

Is there any other Passiflora that is hardy to USDA Zone 6,7?

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I grew 'Incense' for several years. It is vigorous and will spread. It bloomed every year. It was a feast for caterpillers, though. Passiflora are popular food sources for butterflies in the caterpiller stage. I left most of them, but they did eventually weaken the plant quite a bit.

Passiflora incarnata is hardy. I am sure there are a few others, but I don't know the plant that well. If you do some online shopping, you will probably find some new hardy introductions.

NOTE: We were spelling it wrong. Should be 'Incense'.

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Passiflora edulis is hardy to Z7 if you mulch it well in the winter. The bonus is that not only do you get gorgeous purple and white flowers, as pictured, but also the "granadilla," a very tasty fruit when it eventually ripens.

Oh, and passiflora tend to like slightly acidic soil conditions; if your soil is too neutral, you can amend with a tablespoon or two of coffee grounds. Mine love it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  6. megles7187

megles7187 Member

Took your advise got a Passiflora Incarnata, more winter hardy could only find the seeds for Passiflora edulis, and I don't think I am ready to try my hand on growing them. Mine seems to like the aferican Violet mix, it is growing so fast since I moved it.