Planting in the garden

Discussion in 'Maples' started by cafernan, Aug 11, 2007.

1. cafernan

cafernan Active Member

Hi
    I have to plant an Acer palmatum atropurpureum and I want to prepare the soil in order to obtain a lower pH. How deep do I have to do the hole?
    Thanks!

2. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi.

What's the PH of your soil?

Acer roots stay close to the surface, and digging deeper than the rootball - which isn't deep since you are better off at least untangling as much as possible the roots, eliminating the soil it came with - will just lead to the tree sinking deeper and thereby ending up being planted too low. The first roots need to stay at the surface. The stem isn't 'made' to be moist all the time.

Thus: rather prepare a wide circle than dig a deep hole.

But what is the PH of your soil? Are you sure it needs to be lowered?
    Schusch

3. cafernan

cafernan Active Member

Thank you so much for your attention. The pH of the soil is between 6.8 and 7.2. I do not have an exact measurement, but is the rank. Is a very rich soil, humus to 1.00 meters of depth.
    Although it receives sun in the morning, to the 12:00, the sun and the hot wind dry the tip of the leaves. By this reason, I am going to move it under a Populus, in a place repaired and humid. Besides, I will add a Bloodgood and I expect to obtain seeds of Osakazuky, but this is very difficult since this cultivar is not obtained in my country. I like the red scarlets in fall. Greetings and thanks again. Carlos

4. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

With a PH around 7 you do not need to do anything to lower it. Japanese maples are not like acid soil loving plants like rhododendrons, for instance. The PH you have is good. No need for a soil addition for that purpose.

Keep the trees planted at the surface or even higher than the surface (through mounding). Mulch the area to protect the roots, but keep the stem free from mulch.