Another hike and another flower to identify

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by lkliewer, Sep 19, 2004.

1. lkliewer

lkliewer Active Member 10 Years

Taken in Kelowna on fairly dry mountain slope. No shade... I included the picture with the bee to give something to compare sizes to.

There were two different colors of flowers (not on the same plant) -- a light pink with dark stripes and a cream colored one.

The leaves and stems were greyish although there were no leaves to speak of.

Any Ideas?

Attached Files:

2. pgreen18

pgreen18 Member

a sick laurel? <grin> (because of the foliage)

3. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Eriogonum species. Wild guess , but possibly Eriogonum niveum? 9 stamens, 3 stigmas, wooly stem usually make it Eriogonum or buckwheat. If rose pink flower plant similar to the center picture with 2 leaves(bracts) at the stem forks then probably all E. niveum. Buckwheat tends to start out in various shades of red aging to the cream color of the center picture. Usually plants are leggier than those you have pictured though, so it might be something else. Harry

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  4. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Just wanted to clarify, by something else I meant another Eriogonum species as there are a lot to choose from. Not so sure that is as true in Canada as it is here as I'm not familiar with your area. Also wanted to say great photos. Harry