Urgent! Scorch damage on citrus

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by lorax, Aug 5, 2007.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

This is most concerning. Three of my citrus appear to be suffering from burn damage, localised to new wood.
    The change happened overnight - yesterday these trees had perfectly healthy, deep green foliage and small flower buds where you see only scorched sticks in the pictures. There is also leaf curling and chlorosis close to the scorched areas consistent with the trees' being burnt (ie with open flame.)

My impression is that pest damage is much slower than this, but has anybody seen anything similar?

Attached Files:

2. Jakor

Jakor Member

The same thing happened to my washington navel. I'm pretty sure it is due to root stress of some sort.

3. lorax

How can there be root stress on these guys? I haven't disturbed their root systems at all, just added water. I don't even fertilize. Did your root stress cause complete overnight foliage loss and a scorched apperance?

4. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Looks like some kind of limb blight to me.

5. islandweaver

islandweaver Active Member

I'm certainly no expert on citrus, but I must say that the damage reminds me of a problem I had with some plants earlier this summer. Even though the air was perfectly still when I carefully sprayed herbicide (Round-up) on weeds on my paved terrace, some, but not all of the plants nearby had leaves crinkle up and drop on the sides closest to where I sprayed. A few lost all their leaves and died but the others with damage only to one side recovered. A small calamondin had a very small amount of leaf distortion on one side. New growth has been slow and there have been no blooms. I sprayed everything well with water to remove any residue after I realized what had happened.

Obviously, the Round-up was able to travel some distance even in extremely calm conditions. So, is it possible that someone nearby was doing some spraying of weeds or vegetation? I was only spot trigger spraying no higher than six inches above the surface but it's effects were obvious on some plants as far as 6 m. away from them. So I would guess that someone using a finer aerosol from a height of say 1.5 m could affect sensitive plants hundreds of metres away.

Islandweaver

6. lorax

Wow, I hope not. The trees are in the very centre of 4ha of completely organic property. I'm chemically sensitive, so the strongest stuff I ever use is mild insecticidal soap. I tend to either let weeds be or pull them up by hand. My neighbors are cattle ranchers. I have no idea who would be spraying in the area, but we have strong winds coming up from Peru, so perhaps it came in on that.
    But then, why is it only affecting two trees?