peach cuttings

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Davidm, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Davidm

Davidm Active Member 10 Years

Anyone have any experiance with hardwood peach tree cuttings? Dose it have to be later in the winter or can you take them as soon as the tree goes dormant?

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I was looking around for similar information on cherries a while ago. It would seem that prunus (stone fruit) are propogated almost exclusively though grafting. They seem very hard to root, and even if they root the results are not very good. They are normally grafted onto peach seedling rootstock that is resistant to the fungus and critters that like to eat peach roots.

On the other hand, you dan't have anything to lose. Take some cuttings just for kicks, and come spring give a couple air-layers a try. What can it hurt? Nothing.

Michael

3. Davidm

Davidm Active Member 10 Years

Globalist,
    I saw in a book somewhere that you could take dormant hardwood cuttings in late fall or early winter,about 8 or 9 inches long,use a stronger rooting hormone such as for evergreens ,and bury the cutting wrapped in bundles of 10 or so in sand over the winter and then in spring dig they up and plant in nursery rows for the summer.I guess they stay there for 1 year and then you can plant them out where you want them or grow them on in pots.
    Just wanted to know if anyone else has ever tried this.If not, I am going to give it a shot and see if it works.
    Airlayering works on peaches?

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Beats me. I figure if cuttings might work, then airlayers (which works more or less the same way as cuttings) would work better.

M.

5. MIKEY1TWO

MIKEY1TWO Member

a little late for this tread, but the info could help if old treads are replied to, so here are my two cents:

I have heard of the
    It is how I am going to cloning a big white fig tree from an old relatives land. Have yet to see if it works as I am waiting for late winter.
    --------------------------------
    original source http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/fruit/figs/figs.html
    it has pictures......

---------------------------------

I would try to take cuttings (air-layering) in Spring, since that is when the growth of the plant takes place. If it does work expect a few months air-layering to show good root growth....I am air-layering a dwarf lemon tree (or bush) ..... two months now and little amount of roots as of now! But that is better that my 100% failure at taking cuttings from this plant (Come to think of it, I did get a plant ... most likely from a seed from my dwarf lemon... that resembled an avacodo!?! Could avacado been a rootstock for this dwarf lemon?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2007