How to mulch weeds out a resort landscape?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by apple123, Aug 1, 2007.

1. apple123

apple123 Member

Hi all!

How would you mulch weeds with minimum labor for a resorts landscape?
    I've been thinking their might be a plastic suited for this but i dont know exactly where to
    get it and how I would install it properly. The plants are planted in a quite random fashion.

Cheers,

John.

2. martinpribble

martinpribble Active Member

This the sort of thing you're looking for? It'll block out weeds then you mulch over the top with bark or whatever
    weedmat

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

If you truly find an answer for this, copyright and patent it! Everyone is looking for that solution!

The weed screens help, but they are not an absolute solution. Many weeds are capable of growing right through them. I've put down a many as three layers of the stuff and still had weeks come up. Last summer we built two very large beds and used an old method that tends to work well, but is not an absolute solution either.

We first put down 5 layers of newspaper on all the soil. That was then covered with 6 inches of mulch. Worked great until it was time for the weeds to begin to grow again. Problem is, many weed seeds are capable of germinating in the new mulch! They don't have to have the soil. So once the new seeds began to come up we put down new newspaper over the top of the mulch where they were beginning to grow and added several more inches of new mulch. So far we've been "relatively" weed free. But I know that won't last either!

The newspaper will begin to deteriorate naturally once it is hit with water. In a few years it will almost vanish. But this is an old problem and the only real solution I've ever found in 20 plus years of trying to maintain landscaped yards is get down on your knees and pull 'em!

Good luck. We all need it with the weeds.

4. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Have you ever heard of Casoron? If these are shrub beds, then this might be your answer. Sprinkle it in 2wice a year and presto, No weeds. But, you must weed the beds once before applying. Jim.

5. martinpribble

martinpribble Active Member

Yes weeds do grow in mulch, but they are much easier to remove than in soil. I actually enjoy weeding, I get a real sense of achievement when finished.

:)