ZZ plant question

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Feb 24, 2005.

1. To Whom it May Concern,

I think I overwatered my ZZ plant. Some of the stems are rotting. What should I do? How ofter should I water this plant?

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. goodatit

goodatit Member

I have several zz plants and and they are thriving but I need to know if they are suppose to be fertilized? And if so what kind?

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. ZZ plant Help

To Whom it May Concern,

I have a zz plant that is rotting. I haven't watered the plant for a very long time, I check the soil with a water meter and soil is dry. I don't know what to do b/c it's rotting and I don't think it's from over watering. I always check the soil with a water meter before I water the plant. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to change soil? If so, what kind of mix do you suggest? Please advise.

By the way, does anyone know where I can a commerical quality zz plant on-line that will deliver to Seattle?

Thanks!

6. I let mine go for a month and it started showing signs of distress which quickly corrected itself when I gave it a thorough watering. I think you may be seeing the signs of not enough water, not too much. At this point you probably have nothing to lose by giving it a good watering.

7. I don't know much about these plants, but I have found out that you only water these plants once a month and "feed" them once every two months.

8. A few months ago I repotted a large indoor zz plant because several of the stems withered and it was very crowded in the pot. Since then it has sent up 2 new shoots, but several more stalks are gradually dying. Also, the foliage on the new shoots and some others a little older are still light green rather than the dark green of the plant when first purchased. It is located in the corner of a room that gets lots of light in the winter, but never directly on the plant. It gets less light in the summer - more light light shade.

What should I do to green up the pale leaves? And why do stalks continue to die? I water every 2 weeks, so doubt it's getting too much water.

9. Tommyr

Tommyr Member

Every 2 weeks is probably too much water. Old stalks do die. New ones are light green at first. Fertilize about every 2 months or so, they don't need much.

Tom

10. bqmother

bqmother Member

I don't know what a zz plant is. Is there a picture?

11. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

12. bqmother

bqmother Member

Thank you. This is the only place I've heard of this plant!
    bqmother

13. mobyroach

mobyroach Member

I have a large ZZ Plant which routinely puts out new shoots and appears incredibly healthy. I have owned this plant for several years and (like another person suggested), the best care routine is watering one per month and fertilizing once every two months. The more you water this plant, the more stress it places on the plant. Unlike most other plants, watering every week or even every two weeks may end up harming or even killing the plant. With this plant, when in doubt error on the side of neglect.

14. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

15. photopro

Up until this past week I would have agreed with most of the comments on this thread. But new information from a large number of professional aroid growers has changed my mind completely. It may change your's as well:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29376&highlight=Zamioculcas+zamiifolia

Even folks at botanical gardens are now growing this species under "tropical" conditions with great success. And that includes lots of water. Of course, some never water at all!

16. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I have one in my backyard and the only time i watered it was when i planted it, plus rain, and believe me it hasn't been raining over here very often at all, mine seems to be doing fine

Ed

17. photopro

And I believe your post fits perfectly with those of the growers who responded on Aroid l. It does not seem to matter how anyone grows the ZZ plant! You can water it as if it were in a rain forest or you can forget to water if for very long periods of time. It just keeps on growing.

18. Angie Greenie

Angie Greenie Member

Sometimes the best thing to do when a plant has been grossly over-watered is to repot it with new potting soil. Simply remove the plant from the pot, remove as much wet soil as you can from the roots without damaging them. Remove any remaining wet soil from the pot. Now repot the plant with the new potting soil. DO NOT WATER. In a few days the plant should perk up.

I've done this with various kinds of potted plants with good success.

Hope it helps you too. :)

19. photopro

Absolutely right. Although the plant will stand a lot of water, it won't stand soggy soil. Use a sandy soil like cactus soil mix. Many botanical gardens are now growing them in near rain forest conditions but the soil needs to drain quickly. Mine has been a very wet "rain forest" growing next to orchids for years but the soil drains quick!!!

Information on this page originates with some of the world's top Aroid botanists and experts on this species including Dr. Simon Mayo at the Royal Botanic Garden Kew in London, Pete Boyce in Singapore, Julius Boos in Florida as well as the curators of several noted botanical gardens:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Zamioculcas zamiifolia pc.html

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  20. supermomofdeas

supermomofdeas Member

thank you to all i gat it going good now.

21. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Yes, the leaves will root, but it can be slooooooow! If you can get one to root, it will eventually form a tuber and within a year, a new leaf will emerge.