Yucca in UK

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by uniuk2000, Feb 26, 2006.

1. uniuk2000

uniuk2000 Member

Hi guys and hello.

I've a 5ft yucca in a large (about 2" dia) pot. It appears to be suffering from what I would describe as 'crown rot'. The thick green growing stem has dropped out. Is it 'farewell yucca' or will it survive? I have no idea what type it is but it's 5' tall and the trunk is about 3" dia. Green spiked leaves which the older ones droop.
    Any advice please?

Regards
    Dave

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Worst case, if the top doesn't make it, cut it off and new shoots will form. Watch your watering routine. Drainage and sunlight are essential.

3. uniuk2000

uniuk2000 Member

Thanks for that advice, I think the problem started from not enough sunlight and water staying in the crown for far too long. I'll see how it goes.

4. uniuk2000

uniuk2000 Member

Here's an update for you. The top didn't make it. I ended up cutting the trunk down to about 12" and sparingly watered it throughout the year in a sunny, sheltered place in the garded. I'm happy to report that I have 8 new, very healthy shoots, coming from the base. These are now about 7" long and grownig very strong.

Thanks for the advice from yourself, and other contributers to an excellent forum. From the advice I've found from reading through relevant threads I should be able, now, to look after it properly.

Once again, thanks.

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Glad to here your Yucca has pulled through. They're pretty tough plants on the whole.
    Cheers, LPN.