Young Bochum Maples turning black

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Mareike, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Mareike

Mareike New Member

I ordered 12 young Maples online and they shipped them a month early. As I have no garage I had to put them in ground.
    Needless to say we got a week of super cold nights. I covered them as good as I could with mulch, rocks, blankets around rootbase but some are starting to turn black at the tips of their limbs and others the leaves have wilted.
    Are they a total loss??

I appreciate any imput
    M

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,

I don't have access to references this minute, but I don't find any reference to a maple cultivar named 'Bochum.' Can you be more specific about what sort of maple it is?

Also, if you can give us some pictures, especially with close ups of effected bark and leaves, it might help.

To me, off the cuff, it sounds like the trees are having a hard time taking in water (or aren't being watered). If they were bare root trees, it is generally a good idea to get them in ground in the fall... but even still they should have had a decent chance.

Many nurseries guarantee the viability of trees, so check with them. They may have other useful advice, too.

3. Mareike

Mareike New Member

Thanks for your reply

They are Bihou Maples. Super young. Only about the height of my 4 year old. They definitely get plenty of water. But it's been super windy and in the upper 20's at night. I forgott how bad spring is here in the high desert. Should I cut the blackened tips off?

Thanks
    M
    I will try picture but with 2 boys under 5 it's pretty crazy...

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Sorry, I thought I responded. Bihoo is difficult, there's been a recent thread here on the subject. I'd not cut off the tips until they leaf out, but I would spray with a copper-based solution now. If the soil is not well draining (i.e. they have water puddling around the roots) they are not likely to survive. Try and get a picture.

Good luck with the kids, mine are teenagers and it doesn't get easier :). Talking to my GP, whos kids are a few years older, his advice was: take two aspirin and call me in 5 years.