Winter protection for Windmill Palms

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by hrandolph, Mar 7, 2007.

1. hrandolph

hrandolph Member

Last winter we had some late cold spells which damaged the new tender growth of both of my palms. They got over it as the growing season progressed, but were delayed in there start up. This past November I wrapped the trunks with double burlap up to the new growth. Then I installed a 6 foot pipe heating cable around the area covered with the double burlap. I then wrapped another layer of double burlap over the heating cable and tied string around the area to support it. The heating cable comes on at 37ºF and is only 18 watts. I have been manually connecting the cables only when the temperature gets down to about 30º - 32ºF as I do not want to encourge new growth.
    Our winter started out very mild, but February, and March so far have had some cold nights. I think 9ºF was our lowest. Spring is not far away !
    There has been no winter damage noted so far this winter.

Note: The ready - to-install pipe heating cable ( It is only meant for pipe as stated by the company) www.wrap-on.com (1-800-621-6947)
    It has worked for me !

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like you found the answer to your and perhaps others, cold climate palm growing problems. I didn't get any clear indication that the center growth spear had much protection, or was this technique incorporated into the initial wrapping?

Cheers, LPN.

3. hrandolph

hrandolph Member

Hi LPN,
    The center growth spear looks fine even though it was not wraped with burlap. I think the small amount of heat generated by the heating tape had maintained it during the winter, as the heat rises around it. Last year it was the late freezes that damaged it the most.
    This week in the 70º's , but colder this coming weekend.

4. hrandolph

hrandolph Member

Now that the growing season is in full swing, there are many new growths coming out on the Windmill Palms. There was no winter damage to slow them down by using the heating tape as described last winter.

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

That's good news. Enjoy the growing season
    Cheers, LPN