Will solar lighting bother my orchids?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by AABGM, Jun 8, 2016.

1. AABGM

AABGM New Member

Hi all, forum newbie but have had orchids for about 20 years. I have a bunch on a bay window sill (phal, dendrobium, oncidium, potinara, ascocentrum, brassia...) and just bought a string of little solar night-lights which I put above the window; they're 2-3 feet above the plants. They aren't terribly bright lights, but I wondered if they would be enough to bother blooming cycles. Most of the orchids are doing pretty well there, and I realized I don't know if they require a certain amount of dark hours to bloom. There has been a single small night-light to the side of the window for some time. I think it's brighter than the solar string.
    Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

See this article from the American Orchid Society: Light, the Key to Successful Blooming

That establishes that photoperiodicity can affect some species (given that these orchids are tropical, night length variance won't be huge). The questions then become: which species might be affected and how sensitive are they to low light levels? It seems like you are a long-time grower, so I suspect you would have the patience to test for a year and see if the night-lights actually do seem to affect bloom in your situation. I have my doubts that the question for a mixed group of species would be settled any literature.

AABGM likes this.
  3. AABGM

AABGM New Member

That's an interesting article. I printed it out to keep in my orchid book. So, I have learned that some of the plants I thought were too pale are actually the "right" colour, and that's a good trick about the hand shadow. It's a south-facing window and unshaded except for a piece of sheer curtain I stick across the middle of it when the sun is low enough to blast right in (most of the year). Maybe I'll look up each of the types I have and see if there is info about photoperiodicity. And maybe move the wee lights a bit higher on the window frame.
    Thanks for the help :)