Identification: Which cherry variety?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by jz1990, Apr 24, 2017.

1. jz1990

jz1990 New Member

My cherry tree which I got from a friend has flowered for the first time. Can someone identify the variety for me?

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I think 'Tai-haku'. Are the flowers 5 or 6 cm across? Can you post a photo of the whole three, and some more of the flowers now that they should be a bit more open?
    And would you mind clicking the first small icon on the upper right, selecting Personal Details, and give your city and province? People answering questions want to take into consideration the climate zone, and Canada is a bit un-specific.

3. wcutler

jz1990 sent me a PM asking about the source of my 'Ojochin', I assume based on my postings from UBCBG. I don't have any cherries; the UBCBG trees are from cuttings from Stanley Park. I've done another posting today at Ornamental Cherries at UBCBG 2018, and now I wonder about this tree, if that isn't what this is, from the dark buds and crinkled sepals. @jz1990, is your tree blooming now? Do some of the flowers have more than five petals, like an extra one or two, or some half-petals? And are some of the leaves pointed and some rounded at the tip?

4. jz1990

jz1990 New Member

New pictures

Attached Files:

5. wcutler

Yes, I see the occasional extra petals, and some leaves look like they have very short tips. It does look like 'Ojochin' to me, and since we know which four were being offered by BCIT, see
    Propagation: - BCIT cherry tree sale is an effort to revive rare varieties,
    where this one was purchased as part of the sale of the tissue-culture trees (info from a private message), it seems pretty clear that we have the right name.