When to Cut Down Dead Trees

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by gina219, Aug 17, 2009.

1. gina219

gina219 Member

I have a very natural wooded lot with several dead trees. I would like to know if all of these trees need to be cut down. One is a dead arbutus that has grown out of the cliff over the water. It has been dead for many, many years. Is it a danger to either continue to leave it, or to cut it down? It is a beautiful tree and would prefer to leave it alone unless it is a danger.

Other dead trees are scattered on my lot. I have read that dead trees are home to various birds and do not want to cut any tree down unnecessarily. Are all dead trees a greater danger of blowing down? Or do some have extensive root systems to keep them strong enough to leave alone?

2. monkeytreeboy15

monkeytreeboy15 Member

Arbutus (madrona) trees have a very extensive root system and should be fine. As long as your house isn't under the cliff it is leaning over, I would just leave it.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Correct that standing dead trees are very important for birds; if they are not a safety threat (within range of buildings or heavily-used paths) it is best to leave them to decay naturally.