when do I re-pot my orchid??

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Jane Ravenel, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Jane Ravenel

Jane Ravenel Member

Hello, I'm new to growing orchids. I think I'm treating it pretty good. When I bought it last week, It had 2 long shoots full of flowers and 3 buds that aren't open. I have it in the livingroom, out of direct sun. (it's a phalaenopsis) I leave a humidifier on in the room alot because it's still cold in NY and we have a wood burning fireplace. I keep the plant right near the humidifier. I know to water it when it's dry, not to over water. I need to know when to re-pot it. Roots are spilling out over the top, and one is growing out a hole in the bottom. I have a new pot, one size larger, and orchid mix. I don't want to "shock" the flowers off by re-potting it now. Also, when the flowers die, how far do I cut back the stems they have grown off?? Thank you!!

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Exposed roots are not a bad thing. I'd wait for the flowers to finish up, trim the flowering stem back as far as about 1" from the pseudobulb, and re-pot it then.

Do you have pictures? Phals are lovely plants.

3. Jane Ravenel

Jane Ravenel Member

Ok, First, what's the pseudobulb? I'm CLUELESS. Second, I'm also a little clueless on how to attach a pict. to this type of e-mail. I can send them out directly to a regular e-mail address but to attach one to this??? I don't know if I can. I'll give it a shot. I'm not computer savay at all!!

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Well, attached is a pic that can serve as a sort of Orchid Primer... The one in the picture is a Xyllobium, which has a structure typical to a number of orchid species.

BUT

I did a little reading to refresh myself, since what I grow is primarily Ecuadoran species orchids, and I'm more than a little embarrassed to say that Phals don't have pseudobulbs. You do have an upright rhizome. Please accept my apologies, and when the flowers go, trim to about 1 inch from where the stem emerges.

NB to attach images, check out the link in the right-hand panel of the forum, "Attaching Images" or, for your convenience, click here! This forum makes it very easy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  5. Jane Ravenel

Jane Ravenel Member

Thank you for your help... :) I'll work on getting a picture out. I'll be super busy in the next few days since I'm closing on my house but hopefully over the weekend I'll find the time, again, thanks!!