What to expect from dissectum seed?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kaydye, Oct 4, 2006.

1. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I've been collecting seed like crazy this fall and will follow the directions on the forum and from Vertrees. I'm wondering though, if the dissectums will yield (if any germinate) dissected foliage or palmatum-like leaves? I have virdis seed, Garnet, Waterfall and Inabe Shidare. Just curious...
    Kay Dye

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

It depends on the parents. If pollen parent was also a dissectum, then your chances are very high. If the pollen parent was a palmatum, you'll get a distribution of leaf shapes.

There is also no guarantee that the pollen originated in your yard. I imagine there are a few 'Bloodgood" nearby?

Simon

3. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

THere aren't any Bloodgood in the neighborhood, but I have one in my yard and also a Emperor 1. I have a verdis and Inabe Shidare right next to each other and took seed off both of them, so I guess there's a chance. I was just wondering if it was possible. I wasn't sure if dissectums were sports and did not ever breed true or if there was a remote possibility. So I guess if it's possible then, and that's good to know.
    Kay Dye

4. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have found that seed from dissectums have a low rate of germination. Of the seeds that germinate, only a small percentage of the offspring are dissectums. The exception is 'Seiryu' which germinates well and most, if not all of the offspring, are green upright lace leaves.

The results of my collecting seed from cultivars has resulted in more dissectum seedlings from non-dissectum parents than from dissectum parents. My experience leads me to believe that you will get more dissectum seedlings by collecting upright cultivar seeds than by collecting dissectum seeds.

The percentage is small, my guess is less than half of one percent, but if you plant enough seed you will get a few. I have 30 or 40 that I have gotten over the last few years and I enjoy observing the different growth habits and leaf shapes. Some grow more like a vine than a tree. I stake them up, but they might make an interesting ground cover.

Dale B.

5. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Interesting
    I have yet to have any success with dissectum seeds, not any dissectums from others
    My seiryu has yet to produce seeds, so I wait in expectant anticipation :)