What is wrong with my Magnolia grandiflora tree?

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Ansh, May 29, 2020.

1. Ansh

Ansh New Member

This tree is 6+ years old. It has been located in a full sun spot , regularly watered and pruned. During this spring I saw tremendous new growth but from past 2 weeks I noticed leaves weakening that look like not enough watered , eventually turning brown, new flower bud dying with leaves. The tree has 5 stems and only one tree stem with branches is affected right now. I cut off the branches with dead leaves. Here are pictures of branches with dead leaves, weakening of leaves started on another branch and a healthy looking leaves on another tree stems. Please help me identify the problem and help me save the tree. Thank you. 20200529_110317.jpg 20200529_112333.jpg 20200529_110317.jpg 20200529_112333.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Magnolias are susceptible to honey fungus, try looking that up and then checking base of plant for described signs of it. On another subject your plant is an example of M. virginiana and not M. grandiflora

3. Ansh

Ansh New Member

Thank you, Ron. You are right about the type of tree. I dig near roots but did not find any visual fungus. but I do want to treat the tree with some antifungal medicine. Do you know any commercially available? Thank you.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Honey fungus is best dealt with by pulling the rhizomorphs off and rooting around and digging them out from around the plant. Again, you should do a web search and find out what is involved. Use the search term "armillaria".