What is this?

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Mimithagoat, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Mimithagoat

Mimithagoat New Member

I have little to no knowledge when it comes to plants but I want to learn lol. That being said, can anyone tell me what this pink thing is sticking out from this flower? I was given a bouquet and trimmed the stems and placed the flowers in sugar water (bc with my very limited knowledge I'm under the impression that this preserves the flowers a little longer.)

A few weeks later I noticed these pink stems coming from each flower, and they hadn't been there before. Is this the stigma? How and why did it grow so long out of the flower when I put them in the sugar water?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Welcome to the forums, Mimithagoat. Yes on that being the stigma. You seem to be figuring things out fine. This page has a labelled photo: Flower Anatomy.

I don't know whether the sugar water had anything to do with it. You could try with new flowers and no sugar in the water.

Mimithagoat likes this.
  3. Mimithagoat

Mimithagoat New Member

Thanks a lot for the link to flower anatomy. I was curious as to why they seemed to pop out after weeks of being dead. Is there a reason the stigma grew so long out of the flower?